GT Avalanche 1998 Frame with New Build

Man I know this is a thread resurrection, but i had one of these back in 98! It was a replacement for a stolen CFM-4. I Stumbled across this thread doing a search for This model.

I dig! As for being rare... I don't know. My Local Bike shop in Sydney had 3 of them on the shop floor when I bought mine.
I ended up ditching the wheels and running Velocity cliff hangers and have an Azonic Machined Stem and Some risers of some brand.

I loved the Z2 Bomber fork it came with back in the day...
I parted ways with this after picking up a Kona.

I really like this!!!! got me all nostalgic.

Re:

Cheers mate! Still rides pretty well, now that it's slackened out a bit with 100mm forks. The Z2s were so smooth, and pretty light too, but my damper broke so it was very bouncy haha.
Interesting to hear that there were a few in the shop, which shop was it?
I'll go for a ride on it this week I think!

Re:

Thanks for that, spent a while picking out the bits to make it right.
Indeed it is an Outback, a bit mountain biker cliche' but suits me fine. Just before the ugly model!

Re:

Agree with the ugly. We had Legacies for 21 years! (Liberty in Australia I believe). A 1st gen, a 2nd and a 3rd which we had for 14 years. Missed the 4th, which is a shame as it is my favourite! Rejected the 5th and got a Forester, (a 3rd gen with the flat 4 diesel) which is great, a Scoob without scary fuel economy!

Sorry for going off topic.......... :D

Re: Re:

marcus_5":2ag4gvx3 said:
Cheers mate! Still rides pretty well, now that it's slackened out a bit with 100mm forks. The Z2s were so smooth, and pretty light too, but my damper broke so it was very bouncy haha.

They were sitting on the floor in the old Bike R Us in Parra.
Envious you have this frame. I'd snap one up if I come across one!

Re: Re:

Arlo_007":3vh11zt8 said:
marcus_5":3vh11zt8 said:

They were sitting on the floor in the old Bike R Us in Parra.
Envious you have this frame. I'd snap one up if I come across one!

Here you go...

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=343699&view=unread#unread

Nice bike!
I've got one of these, only ever seen one other. Bought it in '98 as one of those end of season jobs at half price. Mine's all original except the wheels (originally mavic x221's I think) which got nicked years back (I live in Brighton, standard!) and the pedals which were spd's and no use to me. Gonna do a quick summer rebuild on it, need some new decent wheels but that's about it. I would post a pic but can't figure out how to!
Always kept this bike as there's something about it that I love, the geometry/size is perfect for me but they just feel so balanced for some reason.
S

Back