90s GT Avalanche Build questions

kicks66

Dirt Disciple
I've been working on building up this GT Team Avalanche - my first ever bike build. I'm getting to the final part of the build, and I have just a few final questions that I can't seem to find answers to (and some might be specific to these older frames)

1. (first photo) The rear derailleur arm which holds the gear cable does not provide enough space for the chain to get onto the largest cog at the back. If I move the shifters into this gear, the chain is stopped because it is sandwiched between the cog and the arm here - is there a solution to this? I am using a 10 speed cassette and 10 speed derailleur

2. (second photo) Is this the correct installation of a U-brake? I really struggled to find instructions (let alone for this Dia Compe Magic U-Brake specifically). It feels like its correct for the "coat hangar" type item to sit on the seat tube, but dont for sure? Also I've currently secured one side (in the square) using these small golden securers, and then the other end I've used the circular brake end to secure it - should I be using the small golden securers for both? The whole thing looks like it might come loose if I dropped off a large curb - is that right?

3. The steering column moves slightly within the steerer tube - is there something that stops that? I bought an old GT headset so wondering if maybe theres a piece missing? It seems the top is the bit that can move around quite freely.

If anyone has any answers to these would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4479_Large-annotated.jpg
    IMG_4479_Large-annotated.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4477_Large-annotated.jpg
    IMG_4477_Large-annotated.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 28
The cable hanger/yoke needs not to be touching the seat tube and the cables should actually cross on the other side of the seat tube..You’ll notice the cable routes on the plastic guide are at different levels so the cables don’t foul each other. 1990 Avalanche in Snowstorm..my second bike..loved it
10 speed! ..this was designed for 7 😁

A 10 speed cassette is pretty big for an old steelie. You may need a derailleur hanger extender to keep the jockey wheels from hitting the cassette and move the cable clamp south of the cogs.
IMG_0926.png

Latest posts

Back