Sup’s GT Avalanche 12.5” Build

Two Christmas’ past I got my son (now 8yrs old) a Specialized BMX bike. He outgrew the tiny cranks so we upgraded to a longer set. But we didn’t upgrade the chain ring; he pedals vigorously to the point of exhaustion on family bike rides.

So what am I to do other than build him a multi-speed kick-a$$ GT retro?

A load of components are being collected for the build including Syncros riser bars, Truvativ cranks, LX derailleurs, XT shifters, Origin8 V brakes & seat post, LX/Mavic wheels with butted spokes, FSA headset & skewers, GT cro-mo rigid fork, and fresh Jagwire kit.

The first step will be to strip the frame down to raw aluminum and prep for paint. At the moment livery inspired by the “bumblebee” GT Saddleback is swimming around in my brain. Something sporty in yellow, gunmetal, black and white….

Here’s my starting point - a 12.5” Avalanche (at least I think it’s an Avalanche) fronting as a Zaskar. View attachment 716371
Hi all, did anyone work out if there was a 12.5” zaskar frame from the late 1990’s? As I do have a 12.5” and a 14” GT Zaskar frames from the 1990”s.. we built both bikes back then for my brother to race cross country on and we still have both frames… after reading threads on here apparently after reading on here gt didn’t make a 12.5” GT Zaskar??? I’ve tried looking up the serial number but I can’t find much online apart from the first 4 numbers that identify’s the month and year… the frame is 12.5” and was sold to us as a GT Zaskar… it has 12.5 stamped in the drop out and it also has a stamp 6061 aswell, plus it has a flat stump with the gt stamp by the seat post clamp…. Any info would be appreciated
Nothing beats seeing a smiling kid on bike built with love!

Back