Sup’s GT Avalanche 12.5” Build

Two Christmas’ past I got my son (now 8yrs old) a Specialized BMX bike. He outgrew the tiny cranks so we upgraded to a longer set. But we didn’t upgrade the chain ring; he pedals vigorously to the point of exhaustion on family bike rides.

So what am I to do other than build him a multi-speed kick-a$$ GT retro?

A load of components are being collected for the build including Syncros riser bars, Truvativ cranks, LX derailleurs, XT shifters, Origin8 V brakes & seat post, LX/Mavic wheels with butted spokes, FSA headset & skewers, GT cro-mo rigid fork, and fresh Jagwire kit.

The first step will be to strip the frame down to raw aluminum and prep for paint. At the moment livery inspired by the “bumblebee” GT Saddleback is swimming around in my brain. Something sporty in yellow, gunmetal, black and white….

Here’s my starting point - a 12.5” Avalanche (at least I think it’s an Avalanche) fronting as a Zaskar. B643E04E-CB2F-4022-B12A-A1449E8C387E.jpeg

Last edited:
8 year old kids don't deserve butted spokes!☝️
What's wrong with that mosso alloy fork? (I ride one of those)
Agreed about the butted spokes. I just picked up the wheelset for my purple/grey Zaskar, but lack of a cassette tool (and gold anodize rims) is holding me back from swapping the 8 cog for my 7 cog. Regarding the fork, I have access to NOS GT cro-mo stock.
B27AA6FA-51ED-4929-8384-938676F358FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Following with interest as I have future plans to strip and then either polish or paint a spare frame. How is the Aircraft remover working for you, and do other forum members know if this is something that can be bought in the UK?

Following with interest as I have future plans to strip and then either polish or paint a spare frame. How is the Aircraft remover working for you, and do other forum members know if this is something that can be bought in the UK?
Aircraft remover works EXTREMELY well. It contains methylene chloride (dichloromethane), a chlorinated hydrocarbon, that I would suspect is restricted by RoHS or REACH. If it is available to you, by all means grab some. Do note that methylene chloride can combine with moisture to create a weak hydrochloric acid so it is imperative that the container is kept tightly closed and aluminum parts are thoroughly cleaned after stripping is complete to prevent corrosion to metals. Don’t be daunted by that statement, with a little care a superb outcome is easily achieved. Methylene chloride can also be found in aerosol gasket remover.

The environmentally friendly chemical alternative is d-limonene, a citrus based oily material. It’ll do the job but will take days of soaking rather than minutes.

DOT 3 & 4 brake fluid can also be used to strip paint.

Do look at the “active ingredients” sections of product labels and read Safety Data Sheets. They are filled with clues as to how effective products will be and which alternative products can serve multiple purposes, such as gasket remover vs paint stripper vs aircraft remover. Frequently products are identical formulations but only permissible under certain names.

Wear Nitrile gloves and glasses when using any of these.

Sorry if the explanation is long, I work in the safety/environmental/industrial hygiene field and have to know this stuff.

Last edited:
Two Christmas’ past I got my son (now 8yrs old) a Specialized BMX bike. He outgrew the tiny cranks so we upgraded to a longer set. But we didn’t upgrade the chain ring; he pedals vigorously to the point of exhaustion on family bike rides.

So what am I to do other than build him a multi-speed kick-a$$ GT retro?

A load of components are being collected for the build including Syncros riser bars, Truvativ cranks, LX derailleurs, XT shifters, Origin8 V brakes & seat post, LX/Mavic wheels with butted spokes, FSA headset & skewers, GT cro-mo rigid fork, and fresh Jagwire kit.

The first step will be to strip the frame down to raw aluminum and prep for paint. At the moment livery inspired by the “bumblebee” GT Saddleback is swimming around in my brain. Something sporty in yellow, gunmetal, black and white….

Here’s my starting point - a 12.5” Avalanche (at least I think it’s an Avalanche) fronting as a Zaskar. View attachment 716371
Very cool definitely excited to follow this one. Your son gonna have some fun on that bike

Latest posts

Back