Graham bufton bike?

I've had a good look today when I stripped the frame down-I wasn't going too but I couldn't help it!
The only other number is on the forks and that's 0 111 (frame is 0 110). So still no clearer!
The only frame I saw with a similar seatstay design was an Ernie Clements. But everything else was different. Maybe we'll never be certain!

Whilst looking it over the only damage I found was to the rear dropout

Are there and Shropshire based frame repairers so I could get it looked at?
From there I'll plan the rest of the rebuild!

Re:

similar seatstay design
Are you talking about the curved bridge, or the seat cluster, or both? Curved bridges are usually a sign of a 'good' frame, in as much as they are obviously more trouble to build than a straight one. Taking some close-up pics of lugs, bracket shell, seat cluster, fork crown, braze-ons, etc. from a few angles might generate discussion as to likely provenance, but equally likely you've got a standard set of Prugnat lugs, Campag. ends, and all the other bits that '70s framebuilders were using to join their 531db, which could have been put together by any of several 'likely suspects', or indeed by Mr Bufton himself, or an acquaintance of his with the relevant skills.
Fwiw, the curved bridge, plus what I can see of the seat cluster, actually looks a bit 'Major Nichols' to me..

I meant the top around the actual seat post Is the only similarity.
I'll take some better close up pics later, see if someone can figure it out!

Quinn+X+Team+ICS+Nov+78%255B1%255D.jpg

The reason I opted for Harry Quinn was that they seemed to make more CX frames than most at the time and advertised widely in the press.

The narrow wrapover and slightly pointed stays where they end at the dropouts remind me of Mercian but could be any quality frame builder :)

Shaun

Wow, that's great!
I've Googled pictures of Harry quinn frames, the top of seat stays looks the same and he has the same cable guides on some of his frames. Also no gear lever braze ons-they were made with bar end changers in mind!
The numbers don't match any of the databases I've seen, so I guess it is possible it's been made to order-semi custom?
The next stop is get it checked over and make sure the rear dropout damage is economically viable.
(I've stripped some of the paint to check the metal underneath)

Re:

Quinn+X+Team+ICS+Nov+78%255B1%255D.jpg

That is sort of funny.. The two HQ riders in the picture are manifestly riding different frames- the fork bend is different, and one of them is using sidepulls rather than cantilevers. Obviously, at least on this occasion, one of them did not choose the 'HARRY QUINN "Cross Champion" frameset'...

I notice OP's frame has a braze-on cable guide for a front derailleur, which item was iirc usually absent from a British cyclocross machine, (as in the picture), although some of the continental 'crossers seem to have used them?

What is the date-code on the rear derailleur that was attached to the frame?

Re: Re:

Woz":2gaoewx7 said:
Liking this. Not many CX renovation threads come up.

I'm not sure this is one yet! :D

The left most frame in the picture looks very similar, I think it has the same fork too. The brakes are the same.
The right hand side bike appears to have similar wheels.
The ad seems to offer an choice. Or they've taken a frame modified it and built it to their spec.

I'll see what numbers are on the derailleur later.
Also I'm going to try and gently tease the sticker of the heas tube, see if there's anything hidden under there!

Back