1980s (maybe '90s) bike ID and info please

Thanks for all of your help and ideas everyone. I'm bowled over to see all of these responses, as I only got an email notification for the first reply, and thought that there were no others.
It feels good to learn more about my dear dad's bike.
It is a big bike, although Dad was under 6', he had very long legs. Thankfully I'm tall enough for it!
Just waiting for some inner tubes, and then I can get back on it...

I was thinking Orbit too. Many of their bikes seem to have been offered with low to midrange groupsets but with decent quality frame materials

The shimano parts will all have two letter date codes and given that groupset, it puts it around 1987 to 1990

If it were mine, swap the chain rings for something / anything a bit lighter, a squirt of machine oil like 3in1 in the freewheel should help and pads (UK based) :

Thanks so much for all this detail. I've ordered the brake pads, and lubricated the freewheel which now works beautifully.
My ignorance extends to chain rings too! What sort of thing could I look for please?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for all of your help and ideas everyone. I'm bowled over to see all of these responses, as I only got an email notification for the first reply, and thought that there were no others.
It feels good to learn more about my dear dad's bike.
It is a big bike, although Dad was under 6', he had very long legs. Thankfully I'm tall enough for it!
Just waiting for some inner tubes, and then I can get back on it...
Ahh! Another Daddy Longlegs - I had one of those too! Although he had a short ("normal") upper half and I was able to inherit his cast-off bikes by lowering the saddles a bit (lot!) to fit me. And your dad was clearly a canny one - Revells (if yours probably is) were a pretty classy bike BITD. Some of their frames are rumoured to have been made by Mercian and similar esteemed builders. Enjoy.

Ahh! Another Daddy Longlegs - I had one of those too! Although he had a short ("normal") upper half and I was able to inherit his cast-off bikes by lowering the saddles a bit (lot!) to fit me. And your dad was clearly a canny one - Revells (if yours probably is) were a pretty classy bike BITD. Some of their frames are rumoured to have been made by Mercian and similar esteemed builders. Enjoy.
Here's to Daddy Longlegs and their cast-offs!
Mum's trying to find an original photo that they took for insurance purposes, which if found, will be able to confirm or otherwise Revellries...

I was thinking Orbit too. Many of their bikes seem to have been offered with low to midrange groupsets but with decent quality frame materials

The shimano parts will all have two letter date codes and given that groupset, it puts it around 1987 to 1990

If it were mine, swap the chain rings for something / anything a bit lighter, a squirt of machine oil like 3in1 in the freewheel should help and pads (UK based) :

Hello again. Would you recommend something like this for new chain rings?
My existing rings start at 28 teeth. It's very hilly round here, might changing to 30 prove to be a tooth too far?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I would aim for 1 to 1 gearing if touring/hilly, possibly lower. I have a 34 c/ring and 11/34 cassette. We live by the south downs and that's fine for me.

I would aim for 1 to 1 gearing if touring/hilly, possibly lower. I have a 34 c/ring and 11/34 cassette. We live by the south downs and that's fine for me.
That's really helpful, thanks. I have 28 on the cassette, so will try to match it. Apart from that, are those (that I sent the link for) the kind of chain rings you would recommend?

That's really helpful, thanks. I have 28 on the cassette, so will try to match it. Apart from that, are those (that I sent the link for) the kind of chain rings you would recommend?
The link was for brake blocks? The rings are likely 48, 38, 28. You don't need to replace them with bio pace, round will be fine.

Different chainset, yours are square taper those are octalink which is splined, wasn't that long lived and bottom brackets while available, can be difficult to source. You can buy just the rings once you know the bolt circle diameter. This way you can just hopefully clean re grease the bottom bracket without having to buy a new one.

7d3745e5_a303_4e10_ab97_822560b1f7b0_cf70a3a30c689e9558841c47eeb0a8dc346bcd06.jpeg

Back