Graham bufton bike?

Re:

Very nice! Looks like a cyclo-cross frame with beautiful detailing especially the wrap-around seat stays. Stronglight (I think) chainset looks lovely. Excellent project - am sure others will advise you further,

Looks like a late 60's to early 70's cyclocross bike with the cantis and bar end shifters. Very nice :)

cyclocross_lg.jpg

Shaun

Looks like a Harry Quinn, does the number start with a Q made up of a letter O wih the tail made from an l ?

Chainset is a Sugino Mighty:). One of my faves

Shaun

As far as I can see the only numbers are 0 110. I'm pretty sure it's not a Q.

I've got another bike I want to finish first and an easy project to do at the same time of this.
I think I may need to get a decent amount of the work professionally done.
If it's a decent frame get it checked and the dropout straightened properly.
Get rid of the tub rims and polish the hell out of the hubs and get them redone by the professionals! With newer rims and new spokes.
Wheels really aren't my thing!
Apart from that rebuild what I can and try and keep the campag theme up where it needs replacing.
But I think I'll wait on people's thoughts and put a bit more thought into this one than I have on my others!
I'm happy i got it for the right price, just need to make sure it's worth investing more into it and trying to make a really nice job of it.

Re:

If it's a decent frame
It is. Or it was. Hopefully it still is. I'm not so sure it's a cyclocross- to me it looks like a nice late 60s-early '70s road bike with Mafac cantilevers and barcons- which was not a completely unusual road configuration back then, afaik. It looks like it'll have pretty close clearances (by early '70s standards) with the back wheel moved forward (and tyres!)
Get rid of the tub rims
That would be a shame, but it's your bike and your call..
try and keep the campag theme up where it needs replacing.
I think this bike dates from a time when 'Campag., Mafac, Stronglight' was the mantra- You won't be finding (period) Campag. cantilevers, that's for sure..

I've never had tub rims on a bike before, all before my tine! :)
And I've heard a few horror stories of getting them glued on and not being able to repair them on the road.
They'll need respoking at least to make them look the part again, I'll put new rims on the "to discuss" pile for now then!

Re:

I've never had tub rims on a bike before, all before my tine!
Me neither.. by the skin of my teeth. In the second half of the '70s I was never going to be more than a 'One pair of wheels' cyclist, and Michelin Elans arriving on the market spared me from getting involved.. But I think anyone who owned that bike of yours would have been 'involved'.. :)

Midlife":sqp18mm2 said:
Looks like a Harry Quinn, does the number start with a Q made up of a letter O wih the tail made from an l ?

Shaun
-
following on from Shaun it possibly is a Harry Quinn build as Graham Bufton rode for the Harry Quinn - Galli team from 1978/81 where he performed well in cyclo cross as well as road events, here is a list of his palmares << http://cyclingarchives.com/coureurfiche ... 2809#album >>

Griff

The cable run on the top tube also makes me think of cyclocross, you could lob the bike over the shoulder without it getting in the way. Those of us who rode road bikes in CX sometimes cut up a tub and taped it underneath the seat tube-top tube junction for comfort otherwise the cable could dig in.

Shaun

Excel":3eni718o said:
Midlife":3eni718o said:

Shaun
-
following on from Shaun it possibly is a Harry Quinn build as Graham Bufton rode for the Harry Quinn - Galli team from 1978/81 where he performed well in cyclo cross as well as road events, here is a list of his palmares << http://cyclingarchives.com/coureurfiche ... 2809#album >>

Griff

Possibly in agreement with this although the seatstay wrapover looks a bit 'Brian Rourke'ish' to me with the full wrapover. May well be one of Graham's own CX bikes as it looks as if it is around his size. Last time I saw him to talk to was at a CX near Leeds back in the 80's when he was racing as a veteran.

Back