1980s (maybe '90s) bike ID and info please

mark_misrule

Retro Newbie
Hello everyone.

Thank you for having me on your forum.

I'd love some help with my bike please.
I inherited from my dad a while back, but have only just recovered it from the barn and am enjoying riding it around.
He bought it new a fair while ago, but is no longer around to answer my questions, so I hope someone here may be able to help me please.

Firstly, what is it?!
Secondly, I need new brake pads and have no idea what to order - the calipers say BR-AT50 on them.
Thirdly, the freewheel is sticking - is there a way to adjust it?
Fourthly, the hand rests on the brake levers (Exage motion) are sticky and falling apart, can anyone suggest suitable replacements please?

Thanks very much in advance for any help, and please bear in mind that I'm not hugely (bike) technically-minded.

All the best from France
Mark

Attachments

• _DSC1229.JPG
    _DSC1229.JPG
    686.4 KB · Views: 83
  • _DSC1233.JPG
    _DSC1233.JPG
    246.2 KB · Views: 78
  • _DSC1234.JPG
    _DSC1234.JPG
    543 KB · Views: 55
  • _DSC1235.JPG
    _DSC1235.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 65
  • _DSC1236.JPG
    _DSC1236.JPG
    384.3 KB · Views: 80
Definitely a tourer, not a "racer" - cantilever stoppers, triple chain rings, braze ons for the rear rack and a front one too by the look of it. And I'd go for ROMANY too, so probably an Orbit, yes.
And it's a big b*gger too! You must be very tall, and I guess your dad was too?
EDIT - and if I recall correctly Revell made a ROMANY too. Though whether in this size I don't know.
As far as brake hoods - Google 'em. Lots of replacements out there.

Last edited:
I was thinking Orbit too. Many of their bikes seem to have been offered with low to midrange groupsets but with decent quality frame materials

The shimano parts will all have two letter date codes and given that groupset, it puts it around 1987 to 1990

If it were mine, swap the chain rings for something / anything a bit lighter, a squirt of machine oil like 3in1 in the freewheel should help and pads (UK based) :

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Definitely a tourer, not a "racer" - cantilever stoppers, triple chain rings, braze ons for the rear rack and a front one too by the look of it. And I'd go for ROMANY too, so probably an Orbit, yes.
And it's a big b*gger too! You must be very tall, and I guess your dad was too?
EDIT - and if I recall correctly Revell made a ROMANY too. Though whether in this size I don't know.
As far as brake hoods - Google 'em. Lots of replacements out there.
Yes Revell did a Romany and I think you are correct it being Revell. Here's one I found during a cursory search. Some small detail differences, but the paint is too similar to ignore imo.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 13
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back