Cunningdale Plan B

Another option for bare steel is something called LPS 3. I think I still have a can of it somewhere. I used it on my industrial-inspired Peugeot a few years ago on the bare steel forks. A quick wipe down and re-application every few rides (possily months 😅 ) was enough to prevent any rust:

That might be the stem off a Voodoo Nakisi, that was the dirt drop mountain bike they had around ten years ago. They had a couple other models with similar setups, and sold a stem separately as well. I have one of the after market stems, it's slightly different in style/construction. Still four bolt bar clamp, but the clamp is two separate pieces like many modern four bolt stems.

sea-otter-2010-6810-cxmagazine_1.jpg

First you need two pics, both from the same side on angle and of bikes of the same size, open the image of the bike you are hoping to match with Paint 3D.
Oh, yeah, i wanted to say that this is a cool idea, I'll give it a try sometime.

I love it, those wheels really work with the chunky frameset and the wide flare of the bars
What are those rims by the way, they do look great?

Another option for bare steel is something called LPS 3. I think I still have a can of it somewhere. I used it on my industrial-inspired Peugeot a few years ago on the bare steel forks. A quick wipe down and re-application every few rides (possily months 😅 ) was enough to prevent any rust:

Cheers for the tip, the more I take the paint off the less likely it seems that it'll look as good raw as my imagination insisted it would, but always enjoy adding strange new chemicals and potions to the shed : )
That might be the stem off a Voodoo Nakisi, that was the dirt drop mountain bike they had around ten years ago.
100% this is the stem, thank you for finding and sharing that, mystery solved. Although it's a little disappointing to learn it's not from the right decade it's still a lovely and unusual thing and will absolutely suit this eclectic build, it goes without saying that the aim was never catalogue spec related.
What are those rims by the way, they do look great?
They are Snowcat rims made in Alaska, and they are so pleasing on the eye. here's a thread with better pics...

A few hours of sanding and most of the metal is clean, just the nooks and crannies remaining, Looking at it now painting might be the best option, but it'll be easier to judge when it's completely stripped. I really like the fillet brazing on the head piece.
P3260159.JPG P3260154.JPG

Glad that thing found a suitable home.

I too was curious as to what was behind the Monkey Wrench sticker!

Get it back on there afterwards!

Finished.

P4090050.JPG P4090054.JPG

Replacing the stem sticker was trickier than I thought it would be, I'm not entirely happy with its tidiness, the stem looks great in yellow with or without the sticker so I'll leave it on for now but may end up removing it.

Only taken it for a short test ride, if the weather holds tomorrow I'll take it tinto the woods for a proper run out.

Nice work using the yellow to draw the eye around the bike.

Those rims with that stem is no nonsense.

Back