AnyVan FB Marketplace scam

sjcprojects

Orange 🍊 Fan
This is a new one to me, so I just thought I'd share in case anyone else comes across the same scam. Honestly, it's a pretty obvious scam, and I think it's unlikely most people would actually get as far as losing money over it - but at the very least it might save people time by just instantly blocking whoever tries it.

The scam is that someone says they'd love an item but can't collect themself, so can they get an AnyVan driver to collect it for them? (I'd not heard of AnyVan but it is a legitimate company, just being used as cover for this scam). They then ask for your email to book the collection (big red flag there already...). Even before that I was suspicious, so that's as far as I got before Googling and finding out what I suspected – then I blocked and reported them (for what that's worth).

After you give your email they apparently say they'll an pay additional 'insurance' payment of £30, but that you'll need to pay that first upfront, which will be reimbursed. I mean, who would that make sense to? Plus the fact that they say the AnyVan driver will pay you in cash – yeah...okay....

This was just over a £25 item I had for sale, so I can imagine things like bikes would be a very obvious target.

Also just to note, it's not just AnyVan, but other courier services too that are being used as cover for this. I've literally had more scam replies than genuine ones to one ad...

Back