Facebook Marketplace weirdness and scamming making it not worth bothering with...

When a FB Marketplace price is too good...and the seller says it's conveniently inconvenient for buyers to be found on the island of Harris....you have been warned! https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...ghtspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

What makes you think that’s a scam?

Advertising it for her father who likely doesn’t have FB and is upfront on its location in the advert.

Her profile is legit. Has other items listed which are a mix of her items and then a tractor of her fathers.

What’s she planning to do , ask you to pay via bank transfer and shell Evri you the tractor?

This is why people miss the bargains. Scared of their own shadow.

What makes you think that’s a scam?

Advertising it for her father who likely doesn’t have FB and is upfront on its location in the advert.

Her profile is legit. Has other items listed which are a mix of her items and then a tractor of her fathers.

What’s she planning to do , ask you to pay via bank transfer and shell Evri you the tractor?

This is why people miss the bargains. Scared of their own shadow.
Maybe it's because the same bike with the same photos was listed on eBay in Hampshire at £15,000 previously.....the profile is suspect too: listed for sale in Lampeter, but the FB profile says she's in Cambridge, she says her husband worked on the trailer with her father, but she lists herself as having a partner etc etc. (it's not looking quite so legit is it?) I will forgive your personal (rude) comments and I'm certainly not scared of my shadow! I want to point out how some buyers just don't see what's staring them in the face in their desire for a bargain...golden rule is, if it's too cheap, be careful and do your research! Arabesque models are £5k plus and this one is extra smokey. https://www.fixedgearfrenzy.com/pro...oupset-at-fixed-gear-frenzy/?wmc-currency=GBP Happy for you to prove me wrong and to pay for it to be sent to you. If it arrives, you can thank me for a bargain...

Last edited:
Maybe it's because the same bike with the same photos was listed on eBay in Hampshire at £15,000 previously.....the profile is suspect too: listed for sale in Lampeter, but the FB profile says she's in Cambridge, she says her husband worked on the trailer with her father, but she lists herself as having a partner etc etc. (it's not looking quite so legit is it?) I will forgive your personal (rude) comments and I'm certainly not scared of my shadow! I want to point out how some buyers just don't see what's staring them in the face in their desire for a bargain...golden rule is, if it's too cheap, be careful and do your research! Arabesque models are £5k plus and this one is extra smokey. https://www.fixedgearfrenzy.com/pro...oupset-at-fixed-gear-frenzy/?wmc-currency=GBP Happy for you to prove me wrong and to pay for it to be sent to you. If it arrives, you can thank me for a bargain...

Can’t find anything similar using the same pictures on eBay , or in completed items
Care to share a link ?

You think that because someone hasn’t updated their Facebook to reflect their current relationship status and place they live that it’s a scam?

I don’t disagree that anyone should do their own checks. But I’m not convinced by any means that’s a scam.

I don’t have any desire for it. Nor do I think it’s cheap.

I’m now realising why I pick up so many bargains on FB. Everyone else thinks they are scams and are playing detective whilst I’m collecting the hidden gems.

Can’t find anything similar using the same pictures on eBay , or in completed items
Care to share a link ?

You think that because someone hasn’t updated their Facebook to reflect their current relationship status and place they live that it’s a scam?

I don’t disagree that anyone should do their own checks. But I’m not convinced by any means that’s a scam.

I’m now realising why I pick up so many bargains on FB. Everyone else thinks they are scams and are playing detective whilst I’m collecting the hidden gems.
It's no longer listed on ebay (nor under completed sales), the page I linked to acts as a 3rd party seller and unlike ebay pages, hasn't been archived-so you can see it's the same set of pics and a markedly higher asking price, and listed in Hampshire. I'm not saying for sure the ad is a scam, those are your words not mine. I'm saying I'd be very careful before considering paying without seeing, all things considered. It would be different if you are willing to go to Harris before parting with your money, but that's not going to be an option for me or most UK residents based on geography! We'll have to disagree on the pricing; for me, it's very much under market value.

Last edited:
The pro scammers are hard to spot.
The amateurs make us laugh.
At the shop late 90s we once had a guy leave us his wallet full of cards and at least £150 cash for a test ride, and then off he went never to be seen again!
Cannondale Super V, back when they were popular with the urban badboy😉.
The thief had probably presold the bike for (say)£300. The wallet and cash went back to the rightful owner, although they didn't see to even send us a thank you note🙄
We also had a guy take a bike for a test ride leaving his mate with his car keys.
A few hours later, when we got the police along, they asked us what we wanted them to do with the guys mate, cos the cops didn't think he'd done anything wrong🤣
And the make and model?... 20240218_115814.jpg
God those bikes were popular up and down the high St.

It's certainly true that if you're happy taking higher risk, you could get some good deals - some people like to work like that, and some don't feel comfortable.

Care to share a link ?

I tracked down the owner of the pics and the original ebay listing. The FB Marketplace listing is a fake and it demonstrates the need to check profiles fully and to err on the side of caution with high value purchases, especially if you can't inspect the goods. 1708522811935.png

Back