Another FB 'crime against bicycles' special for only £900

sjcprojects

Orange 🍊 Fan
This confirms I really need to stop looking on FB. This ticks nearly every box of awfulness. It's genuinely upsetting. There's a lovely, almost pristine, Ciocc frame under there somewhere 🥺

- Original shifter bosses ignored and cheapo band-on ones added much lower down and over a decal. Why, god, why???
- Horrible pressed metal brakes and generally cheapest possible parts
- Some 26" wheels and nice big fat tyres on a road bike, yes why not?
- Yes, why not add a lock and light and see if the frame can be as marked as possible?
- Butterfly bars topped off with tasteful pink bar tape
- Yup, why not add a multi-coloured saddle as well?

He says 'Over £1000 worth of parts on this bike unused brand new' which is obviously a flat-out lie.

I really can't get my head around the logic of doing this, as if he's asking £900 presumably he realises it's a quality frame?

I would save this if it wouldn't cost me £900 to do so (not that it will actually sell for that price, obviously).

Rant over. 😖

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 12.12.55.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 12.12.55.png
    804.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
That is a weird one. Can't decide if that's a parts bin special or the owner has simply taken the good stuff off for another bike. Or has a singular vision for their bike which no-one else is likely to share.

If I were to guess the method to the madness, I would think they've got the frameset from someone (a family member or something? They surely can't have actually bought it?) and built it up with nearly all new (but cheap) parts with the idea that this somehow makes it more valuable. They've managed to build the thing at no small effort, but with such awful choices. Just the shifters alone are bafflingly stupid.

It could be a joke, that ad. Its an amusingly nutty collection of bad taste, sh*t bits and weird config. The shifter position makes me think somone is bored and having a laugh.

If you want your Ciocc fix this guy has a pantographed stem on an 18-23 hi ten Raleigh Banana...and only wants £450 for his trouble....I really do want those yellow Modolo lever hoods though.😍

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
It could be a joke, that ad. Its an amusingly nutty collection of bad taste, sh*t bits and weird config. The shifter position makes me think somone is bored and having a laugh.

If you want your Ciocc fix this guy has a pantographed stem on an 18-23 hi ten Raleigh Banana...and only wants £450 for his trouble....I really do want those yellow Modolo lever hoods though.😍

It's like the reverse of this bike - combine the frame of one and the parts of the other for only £1350 and you've got a nice bike 😬

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
GravelCrossOver lol

According to the listing it's a 'touring bicycle'. Obviously. I guess I should be thankful that he didn't try to add mudguards and racks.

I was this close to messaging the seller and as reasonably as possible saying he's best off taking it back to the frame and fork, and at least hinting at the fact that this will never in a million years sell for £900, but given he's claimed that he's put £1000 worth of parts on it, and the listing says 'Collection only, no you can’t try it out, £900 Ono' I decided that would not go down well.

I could almost understand building a bike like this in the pre-internet era where someone might have no way of finding out what they have and how best to go about these things, but this just baffles me. I guess I should never underestimate people's ability to make baffling decisions...

Back