Facebook Marketplace weirdness and scamming making it not worth bothering with...

sjcprojects

Orange 🍊 Fan
I mean, I hate FB anyway (I have a profile but never post anything, I'm actually only on there because the group I sometimes ride with only arrange stuff on FB), but Marketplace has been handy sometimes for picking up bargains compared to eBay.

A couple of recent experiences have made me feel it's not even worth using, full stop. The main thing is sellers being incredibly wary when it comes to giving out their address in case of scammers. Most recently I only asked for a postcode, not even full address, just so I could work out how long it will take me to get there (which I even explained in my message) and the response was 'No. Bye' and then I got blocked by them. Great.

I've sold stuff on FB myself, and it's certainly true that scammers are EVERYWHERE - often the first response I get to a listing is a scam one - BUT I don't get how actually giving your address would even risk being a target of a scam/criminal scheme unless you're selling a really high value item or something. In my case they were selling something for £5 🙄

So, yeah, I now officially hate FB even more. I don't know, is it me or have others had the same issues (both buying and selling)?

If you have a FB profile as you’ve described (not a used one) how does the seller know it’s a legit profile?

First thing I do when I get any FB marketplace message is click the profile. They likely did this and decided you were a scammer due to lack of any info , or regular use. I’d block you under those circumstances too as it’s simply not worth the hassle/time to weed them out and someone who’s legit looking will be along soon to buy anyway.

Same as 0 feedback eBay accounts. Nobody takes them seriously as it’s 99% a scammer.

Yeah, I guess you’re right, my profile probably does look suspicious enough for that to spook some sellers, seeing as facebook is so compromised by scammers.

I still don’t get how giving an address is problematic, though? What is a scammer actually meant to be doing with that information?

I still don’t get how giving an address is problematic, though? What is a scammer actually meant to be doing with that information?

I guess there is a risk of thieves using it as a home shopping channel. I know quite a few sellers who meet in supermarket car parks to exchange goods. Good for the seller, zero comeback for the buyer.

Pre-marketplace and ebay, I once bought a titanium frame, and beyond supplying some pics - the seller refused to give any other info other than payment details as they had been burgled in the past. Should have been major red flags, but the internet was a more naive place back then. Sure enough, a few days later said frame arrived - and I still knew nothing about the seller.

Yeah, I guess you’re right, my profile probably does look suspicious enough for that to spook some sellers, seeing as facebook is so compromised by scammers.

What’s your address?

Posting it on a public forum is likely less dangerous than giving it to a scammer so no issue right?

Remember when Jeremy clarkson bragged about his bank details being useless …..

Instead of asking for the address ask for a meeting point. If there's no reply then I would say it is equally a scam.

Instead of asking for the address ask for a meeting point. If there's no reply then I would say it is equally a scam.
I always ask , where is collection from ? Leaves it open to them to decide how much or little info to give.

I always ask , where is collection from ? Leaves it open to them to decide how much or little info to give.

I'm not on FB, but it's certainly the protocol and even advised on certain platforms - especially in larger cities I would say that's how it's done.

I would feel safer putting my address in a private message than on a public forum, actually.

As for meeting in a public place, I get the point, but for a lower value item, that’s not worth the hassle as a buyer. I’m not going to take the risk of having to wait half an hour or someone not turning up, which judging from the way some people act on Facebook is not unlikely, I’d think.

Anyway, it’s probably for the best because I spend too much time scrolling through the endless rusty Apollos and the like in search of a diamond in the rough 😂. I think I’m done with FB now.

Just to add, this has only been an issue in the last year or less. I’ve collected plenty of stuff from people over the years, it’s not like it should be complicated, it’s just the sheer number of scammers that are making it a hassle for honest buyers and sellers.

Latest posts

Back