Anyone here got any experiences to share of going car-less??

Not had a car since my parents got shut of theirs when I was a kid 30 years ago.

Now like you I live in a rural area, approx four miles from the nearest town (although about 2 miles from the nearest shop/doctor's surgery etc). Also, it helps we are on a bus route. Actually two - one bus stop is about 1/4 mile away, and the other will actually stop outside our door if flagged down. A godsend for the missus. She also has an electric bike because she's not that fit due to illness (and a touch of laziness too) and there are some blooming steep hills around here. We are also 1/4 of a mile from an surfaced off road cycle route all of the way into town.

When I was a teenager I too had a bunch of gardening jobs. The furthest was about six miles away. As you say, customers have their own tools although I used to carry a couple of favourite hand tools and my own knife.

Long lasting and heavy groceries are ordered online. As are most other non perishables. We had a ton of compost arrive the other day. Fresh food is carried in panniers/backpack. Bear in mind, you will get extra wear and tear on the bike - and you might want a sacrificial one for this job. I also have a couple of spare bikes that are ready to go in case my main bike has a problem. If I have an early morning train at 6.30am to catch and one of the tyres is flat - I simply pull out a spare bike.

We have a bike trailer for occasional loads, as well as Pashley Add-1 for longer cycle journeys with the missus which are out of the range of the electric bike. The main thing with a trailer is not to overload it - and make sure it's evenly loaded otherwise you can set up some really dangerous wobbles. But I have carried the better part of a medium sized tree in mine as firewood, as well as compost bins, and 3m lengths of guttering. The only load I really struggled with was 100kg of floor tiles. I had to take a really long way around as it was simply impossible to even push it up some of steeper hills. Nowadays I'm care not to load more than 50kg on it (and the trailer is supposed to carry no more than 40kg!)

We have good neighbours with cars who we know would be happy to help in an emergency. In fact, they've offered to carry all kinds of stuff, but so far we've not needed to take them up on it.

Longer journeys are done by train as our nearest town has pretty good connections.

When I came down with a really crippling bout of novovirus in London, I got the train back to city I was living at the time - and treated myself to a cab rather than face cycling the 2 miles home up a steep hill. One of the best tenner ever spent.

Moving house is the only time where I've regretted not having a car or a driving licence as we've always had to rely on a friend or family member to help. So we've always been lucky, and since we don't plan on moving anytime soon I guess we'll be OK - and you can always hire a removal company if necessary.

All this said, barely a rainy day goes past when the missus doesn't complain about not having a car. But she's not keen on spending her own money on one either.

So I'd say go for it. Try it for six months/year and see how you feel. Nowadays pretty much any problem is surmountable without one.

Re:

Flippin' heck, thanks guys, some really interesting thoughts and contributions! I thought one or two people would show an interest but I wasn't expecting so much encouragement! I notice there's not been anyone completely arguing against the idea yet either....

I woke up this morning and did feel myself have a wobble over the whole idea (and no, Ann Summers wasn't involved) but I'm starting to see the advantages again. I could make a small extra income by starting a blog about it all :LOL: :LOL: and any excuse to build a rat bike...well....there's one right there!

greencat":6g7ptfvc said:
Now like you I live in a rural area, approx four miles from the nearest town (although about 2 miles from the nearest shop/doctor's surgery etc). Also, it helps we are on a bus route. Actually two - one bus stop is about 1/4 mile away, and the other will actually stop outside our door if flagged down.
To be fair, that's not remotely rural. We're 5-6 miles from the nearest anything. And we aren't even technically that rural.

These days we'd be royally shafted without a car. They've just cut the bus service (last summer) from half hourly to two hours. Unless we walk half an hour to the main road.

Re:

I have to admit I wouldn't even be thinking about doing this if it wasn't for the fact I'm a 1/4 of a mile from a bus route. It runs half hourly, and there would be uproar locally if that changed (the village is large and full of older people who rely on it)

Total isolation and carlessness appeal to me greatly, but not while I have to earn a living, which will be for a long long time yet!

Keeping pretty much any car costs around £1000 per year, so you have £20 per week budget for alternatives. To avoid the insurance NCD trap, consider if you can be put on a friend's or relative's insurance as a named driver. It'll probably cost you around £70 depending on the insurer, but possibly be almost free.

Re:

I'm already on my Dad's insurance, just remembered, whether that would have to be reviewed if I didn't drive a car of my own too I don't know.

Have just come back from pub roast with my parents, they were understandably a little concerned that I wanted to do this, and came up with the brilliant suggestion of trying the cycling/taking the bus option for a week before I make any decisions (preferably a dry week from my point of view!) So any time between now and the tax being due the end of March, if we have a dry spell forecast I'll try it while I still have the car.

I'm also going to get him assessed this week for rot and it's potential affect on his longevity, and also go into my insurance brokers and see what affect the 3 points will have on my insurance potentially, if at all. Armed with this information, plus a valuation off the local Ford dealer my Dad knows, I'll decide his fate over the next few weeks....

Re:

Never had a car, and despite being a car lover I wouldn't want one.
I know it sounds crazy to most, but it makes perfect sense. I love cars, but don't want the hassle of looking for parking spots, being in traffic jams, having to pay insurance, fuel, maintenance, etc etc.
Owning a car costs 250 EUR per month over here (that's all the costs including the rpice of purchase over the estimated lifetime of the car). That's almost a week's worth of net salary, or 2 hours every working day. You can either work as much and have more money, or work less and have more time. I went for option 2.

I have the advantage of living in a city, but my commute is 8 miles and occasionally I have to go to rural areas too.
All you really need is a bike and trailer for shopping and a buss pass for those longer trips. Maybe a folding bike depending on your exact situation, but I never felt the need for that.

For those 2 times per year that you really NEED a car, you can rent one. The amount of money you save by not having a car of your own will more than offset the cost of renting cars and taking taxis.

EDIT : as for rain etc, there's clothing for that.

EDIT 2 : Also, there's a rather substantial subforum at bikeforums just for car-free living. Most of it is aimed towards the US, but you may find inspiration and hints there too.
http://www.bikeforums.net/living-car-free/

We couldn't go car free here, but we make up for it by always having as many passengers as possible. My nickname is the Post Bus, now there was a service that allowed rural dwellers to live car free!

In London we use the services available and our car is left parked at my brother in law's.

Im a non driver

So all messages(supermarket) i have to walk. or bike.
Journeys are undertaken via bus(i get a free pass) or if the weathers ok and im feeling up to it then on the bike.

I cant say however not having motorized transport is an easy option. And i do have to beg lifts to pick up materials/timber and the like.

If you have a car and can keep it off the road to save money then do so but its nice to have about in an emergency.

Re:

Have to say, the original idea has ground to a bit of a halt as I have been offered a lot more work this week that will definitely need a car to be practicable. That said, I am already starting to realise that there are loads of journeys that I do that really don't HAVE to be done by car, so I am thinking of compromising for now and using the car as little as possible during the week, and not at all at weekends, therefore cutting down on fuel usage at least....

At the mo, I wouldn't want to be doing the above until the weather improves mind! :facepalm:

Back