Anyone here got any experiences to share of going car-less??

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Here's my situation - got a 10 year old Ka that I've had for years, and it just keeps going through MOT's so I've kept him. But now the rust has really bitten in all the usual places, he's probably only worth about 400 notes, tax is due end of March, needs brakes seeing to and a suspension mounting done, then it's MOT time again in June.....

All in all, I can't see the point in throwing any money at him, and I hate buying cars even though I do love driving with a passion. I thought of getting myself something sportier again, but I've now got 3 points on my licence (27mph in a 20 zone :facepalm: ) and doing some research that's going to push my insurance up by a third alone :roll:

Am seriously thinking (and I've thought about it before) of getting rid of a car completely. I live in a pretty rural area BUT I'm right on a main bus route, one that runs regularly to the county town 9 miles away, and to the market town I work in sometimes in the other direction (main job). I'm self employed and do a lot of gardening too, but all my customers are either walking or cycling distance, have their own tools for me to use, and I would only be gardening if the weather was good!

So I think it's feasible, after all I can change my mind and buy another car at any time, or hire one come to think of it. Anyone else got any experiences of going car-less? I'm single with no kids, so no issues there, my only worry would be if I was ill and had to get to the doctors! :LOL: But then again, they can come out, and my landlady is brilliant and right next door, so...

Thoughts please! If you've read this far :facepalm: :LOL:

In this age of internet grocery delivery shopping and if your work accommodates it, why not? Bike and decent trailer would cover most needs?

Or huskies?

Until I bought a stupid car last year I had been carless for many many years...and its liberating! Not having to worry about MOT, tax...filling up the tank, repairs, parking etc etc etc
You do have to think in advance a little more, and get to know a few timetables and when you really really need a car...hire one.
If I didn't have children I would get rid of mine in a shot.

Re:

Interesting... I am quite organised (some would say OCD!) so I'm good at planning in advance, and I know that would be necessary if I do it. I am already looking at getting racks and panniers for the poor old Kona...and think how fit I would get!

THM, now huskies I could do, sure that would go down well here :LOL:

Re:

Until last, late summer i was car-less for two years. for reasons mainly based on running costs and lack of use of a nice car.

Apart from the odd frustrating moment where i wished i had a car to get to somewhere interesting...i coped quite well, considering i'd been car'd since year 2000.

If you are already having these thoughts about getting shut then, you probably can do without it. If you really needed the Ka, you would not even consider getting rid.
Even then, keep a balance of outlay on any transport as buses can be a dear do aswell, and tickets seem to go up in cost every 2 months or so.
Having said that, you wont have service or M.O.T the buses so that's got to be a saving somewhere, even if you bus everyday.

Have a think about how you would benefit and, get a balance of cycling, public transport and, cadging lifts.

Just one thing to consider is how long you stay away from motoring and your no claims bonus.....

My 2p.

I got a car, sorted insurance on- line. the premium was based on no claims at 8 yrs...it was a figure quite affordable for the year..300 something quid. then i needed to prove the NCD.... :facepalm:

Not a problem had an old schedule in the cupboard with reflected details. however the info was beyond the 2 year limit, by 2 months or so...no good and, had to pay a couple of hundred more for a years insurance.

Soooooo, maybe you should take a year away from motoring costs and look at the situation again. you may grow to want a car again, or wonder why you didn't get shut earlier..

cheers.

Re:

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply! I'd considered the NCB thing, know people who have been caught out like that, so that's worth knowing, I have two years....

It could well be that when the weather goes down hill again next winter I reconsider getting another, and it wouldn't be difficult as I work near 3 places doing cheap bangers who know me well enough to not sell me a dud. I could have loan of a mate's car as well it turns out.

Just done some calculations, allowing for tax, insurance, MOT and basic sundries/servicing costs, the Ka costs me £17 a week at mo. Before fuel....so could be worth getting a bus season ticket with that! I might even be able to afford the luxury of the occasional taxi....

A third? I'd check that.
Both times I've ended up with three points it's made absolutely no difference whatsoever to my insurance.
IIRC the second time it was about 75 quid cheaper.

Saying that, I did the same as you for 4 years, only reason I got another car was a change to job location (10 mile round trip to 40 mile round trip, ok in daylight/summertime, not so hot in winter/darkness, I still commuted 3 or 4 days a week by bike tho!
Just have to plan ahead when you have no car, and budget for the occasional rental.

Re:

Research seems to suggest some insurers don't charge more for a 'first offence' if it's just a speeding ticket, but then others do by a third more, I should go to my broker I know really....

But then again, it's just one of several mounting costs, insurance being one of them, and lets face it, that will only go up, and so will fuel again soon, then there's all the tax you pay on fuel and insurance and...

Can you tell I've already made up my mind? :LOL:

Re:

I have been getting about on a push bike for three years in April.
I very rarely miss a car and can usually figure out a way to carry stuff.

Back