1990 Ritchey P-23 Team (and my P-Series whoring)

Re:

Lovely,lovely bike!
I've often wondered about the serial numbers on the P Teams. I had a P22 Team for a while before penury forced it's sale. The serial number was 8P38; 8 for 18" P for project, and 38 for the 38th built. Was this the 38th P Team, the 38th P22 Team, or the 38th P Team in 18".
There is rare, and there is rare, but how rare?
I rode one race on it,about 6 years ago, and I've never had a bike that attracted so much attention (amongst Veteran/Grand Vet Racers).

Edit: shoulda been 8P39...

Re: Re:

suburbanreuben":2cq5y6zn said:
Lovely,lovely bike!
I've often wondered about the serial numbers on the P Teams. I had a P22 Team for a while before penury forced it's sale. The serial number was 8P38; 8 for 18" P for project, and 38 for the 38th built. Was this the 38th P Team, the 38th P22 Team, or the 38th P Team in 18".
I rode one race on it,about 6 years ago, and I've never had a bike that attracted so much attention (amongst Veteran/Grand Vet Racers).

Maybe this will help,

http://oldmountainbikes.com/bikes/

Well there's some nice pictures of old Ritcheys anyway :oops:

Mike

Mike Muz 67":o5z992c8 said:
Looks even nicer now that I've seen it on a big laptop screen :cool:

Do you happen to know when Ritchey went from 1" to 1 1/8" headtubes ?

Mike

Ritchey was really late to make that switch. Like, way late. Maybe not until the Plexus and NiTi.
All P-Series bikes (should) be 1".

suburbanreuben":3nyr7kfu said:
Lovely,lovely bike!

Edit: shoulda been 8P39...

I believe it's the 39th Team bike built, though Tom's serial numbering isn't a system of perfect.

Tom laid the brass for most of his early bikes, but by the time we get to the P-Series bikes, he was doing less welding and more business running.
I think this is maybe why the P-Team bikes are as desirable as some of the earlier bikes. They're less common for sure.

I like seing the evolution of a Rumpfy build. As he got deeper into the hobby, he certainly focused on proper restoration as opposed to just slapping together a rider. Certainly now he is one of the most dedicated hobbiest I know for restoring (and riding) high end vintage mountain bikes back to the way they woulda came. My hat is off to him, and love or hate the guy you have to admire his work.

That black P-23 has always been one of my favorite frames and I remember drooling over it when you first posted it up. Now sadly, as you have raised the bar, I too have to hold out for a Team frame.

"Ballet in Motion"

Ductape":1408klhc said:
I like seing the evolution of a Rumpfy build. As he got deeper into the hobby, he certainly focused on proper restoration as opposed to just slapping together a rider. Certainly now he is one of the most dedicated hobbiest I know for restoring (and riding) high end vintage mountain bikes back to the way they woulda came. My hat is off to him, and love or hate the guy you have to admire his work.

That black P-23 has always been one of my favorite frames and I remember drooling over it when you first posted it up. Now sadly, as you have raised the bar, I too have to hold out for a Team frame.

"Ballet in Motion"

:oops:

Aww, thanks man! I really enjoyed that black one too and the only reason to leave it was to make the jump to a TR brazed bike (they don't ride any different from each other).

And strangely...my P-23 weighs 25lbs, not 23lbs. Not sure what I did wrong. :p

Latest posts

Back