1989 Fillet Brazed Mongoose IBOC Team

OldSkoolReTool'd

Brodie Fan
Here is an interesting bike that looks like it came out of a time capsule. It’s an 1989 Mongoose IBOC Team partially fillet brazed. (The only Fillet brazed Mongoose frame that I know of)
I received the bike just as it is ; looks like it still has the original tires, different seat and stem maybe?
It was in Mongoose’s catalog for 1989, but there don’t seem too many of them around, so I am adding photos of it here - ( the other posts on this site of similar bikes years ago have most of their photos delinked )
It appears to be the next iteration of the 1988 John Tomac signature bike that he rode for 1988, although for 1989 JT moved on to a Merlin made titanium/carbon bike and never rode this one it seems. This one is similar to the 1988 JT signature bike I think, but had the fillet brazing and a rear monostay rear end.
It came stock with the full Shimano XT II M-732 kit ( 7 speed SIS )

My first “mountain bike” was a Mongoose - Kos Cruiser in 1981( Cook Bros forks w cantilevers front and Drum brake on rear ) , but I only had it for a year or so and have always thought highly of the brand (until their Walmart days anyways) even though they didn’t seem to be serious about mountain bikes until the late 80s.

Attachments

• IMG_8639.JPG
    IMG_8639.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • Mongoose team Cat.jpeg
    Mongoose team Cat.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
A few more
I can't seem to find a serial number on the frame, maybe they fillet brazed over it ?
Not under bb nor on front of head tube.
If anyone knows where they put this, let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_8640.JPG
    IMG_8640.JPG
    305.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8641.JPG
    IMG_8641.JPG
    392.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8643.JPG
    IMG_8643.JPG
    454.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8645.JPG
    IMG_8645.JPG
    393.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Lovely! That’s one on my wish list. Stupidly passed on one, in similar condition, a few years back

Back