1988 (ish) Paul Donohue - fillet brazed

So what colour would you do it then? Make my day..

• Petrol Bluey colour (sort of like the Drum tobacco pouch?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orange

• Light blue

• Silver

• Deep indigo/purple

• Dark Green

• Red

• Lighter 'leaf' like green

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Humble U brake really likes no more than 1.95 tyres with round shoulders, I had Tioga Psyco's on the Trekker and the square shoulder on this design just hits the inside of the U brakes :( Timbuk II's fit nicley ;)

I had a snipe set on this but had to cancel it. Pleased it is in the family though.

If the yellow is flaking off I suspect it is a poor job. If it is a poor job is it worth trying to gently remove it and see what the original paint is like underneath?

lewis1641":18hl9010 said:
I had a snipe set on this but had to cancel it. Pleased it is in the family though.
:LOL:

Me too.

I really liked this a lot and had even spoken to the seller, and despite what he had said in the ad, he agreed to package it up so that I could send a courier to collect it! It was only a post Christmas moment of epiphany that made me cancel my bid when I was stood in the shed looking at the 5 frames and boxes full of parts that are .....ahem.....in progress, including a Yo and a Roberts :oops:.

it was mostly because when I saw this Donohue I had visions of a new paint job and rollercams and other subtle changes of parts which I don't have in stock, I knew it would be yet another project (£££). So my bid was cancelled and I deliberately went out so that I couldn't watch the auction and be tempted :roll:

All in all it seems that myself and others deciding not to/or were unable to bid for one reason or another and conspired to the bargain price that you got it for :cool: . Now with so many potential god parents you will have to do it justice as we'll all be watching ;)

Pulls up a chair...... :cool:

Prometheus":2a1f7ql6 said:
lewis1641":2a1f7ql6 said:
:LOL:

Me too.

I really liked this a lot and had even spoken to the seller, and despite what he had said in the ad, he agreed to package it up so that I could send a courier to collect it! It was only a post Christmas moment of epiphany that made me cancel my bid when I was stood in the shed looking at the 5 frames and boxes full of parts that are .....ahem.....in progress, including a Yo and a Roberts :oops:.

it was mostly because when I saw this Donohue I had visions of a new paint job and rollercams and other subtle changes of parts which I don't have in stock, I knew it would be yet another project (£££). So my bid was cancelled and I deliberately went out so that I couldn't watch the auction and be tempted :roll:

All in all it seems that myself and others deciding not to/or were unable to bid for one reason or another and conspired to the bargain price that you got it for :cool: . Now with so many potential god parents you will have to do it justice as we'll all be watching ;)

Pulls up a chair...... :cool:

No pressure then ;)

As I said, I didn't plan to have a punt but then kind of reasoned with myself a little, mainly as I'm blessed with a bit more storage at the moment. In the past I too have been forced to go out or switch all laptop related stuff off! I'm hoping that I can do it justice though for y'all.

As it's a bit quiet at work I have already found myself mulling over potential paint schemes. I'm liking the red white blue idea, but then I've always liked the idea of a green bike, then there is the idea of doing it orange.... Then there is the question of who is going to do it! I've used Argos a couple of times in the past and they have done a great job for me (including the Kona Hot now owned by Ratbane on here) but I'm also considering some other options out there. I will welcome any suggstions from those who have had a good job done for them or who may be up for a little repainting themselves!

I'm hoping to do a stripdown in the next couple of days, then maybe put up a colour poll for everyone to have a play with.

Now who's up for some karma purple tyres :?:

Okay.. one quick 40 minute session and bike is stripped as can be seen..I've already warned my workmates not to bring their bikes to work and upset me- I have allen keys and a permanent urge to use them! The frame has a little bit of cack rattiling within but nothing scary for a 24 year old, I'll stick in some frame saver prior to painting mind you.

Interestingly I've found a bit more original (?) paint on the frame but it's a bit of a mystery as to what it originally looked like - there was some more orange on the brake bosses, some red on the inside of the b/b shell and fluro pink of all things insde the stem! It would have been very interesting to see what it originally looked like.

Speaking of colours I've decided on a bit of a shortlist of sorts as seen by a little poll I've added.. Despite a fade being a nice idea I now fancy this being a simple one colour affair with matching stem and forks. I'm going to give Armourtex a go as well, mainly as they are a) very local to me and b) seem to do good quality work for the money. I'm settled on having the same decals again come the time with the black outline as they look cool and seem to have been used on other Donohue frames from around the same timeframe.

Other than that I've tried not to go too nuts until I've been paid at the end of the month and/or have sold at least one bike. The wheels are in motion though.. I have already scored some NOS M730 levers with the rubber covers :)

More to come..

Attachments

• IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 959
  • IMG_0256.JPG
    IMG_0256.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 959
Back