boy"O"boy's 1989 Ridgeback 604 SIS

Awesome. Old catalogues are amazing. Lots of errors or change of spec and typos. Love it. Also like the random pictures and assembly of bikes too. Like the downswept bars on the 604 vs. the upswept bars on the 605. Doesn't look like an XT seatpost on the 605 either in the photo. We use to study these things like we were swatting for exams! ๐Ÿคฃ Haven't used the phrase swat in ages! Ah the memories! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Ah that well thumbed Freewheel catalogue! ๐Ÿ˜

Should have bought a 602LX, but got a MBK instead as my best mate who got me into mountain biking influenced me to use the same bike shop where he got his Diamond Back Ascent from and the tri-fluro colours won me over! ๐Ÿ˜:cool:๐Ÿคฃ

Another cracking build well under way! So far it all looks to be in amazing condition! ๐Ÿ’ช
Ah. Remember that MBK advert from MBUK of the same period.....and the overbury's pioneer surrounded by oranges.

Looking forward to this build.
Loved the freewheel mag, and the Ridgebacks. Mine were 90 and 91 though.
Cheers Ed.
Got both of those Catalogues too...

Awesome. Old catalogues are amazing. Lots of errors or change of spec and typos. Love it. Also like the random pictures and assembly of bikes too. Like the downswept bars on the 604 vs. the upswept bars on the 605. Doesn't look like an XT seatpost on the 605 either in the photo. We use to study these things like we were swatting for exams! ๐Ÿคฃ Haven't used the phrase swat in ages! Ah the memories! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
Yeah. All part of the research for me.
I had never seen the actual Ridgeback Catalogue until it arrived this evening! Like you say.... swatting up on the subject like I'm going to take an exam on Ridgeback specs! - suppose the devil is in the details when it comes to a catalogue spec...if that's your thing!

Looking forward to seeing if your swatting up pays off! ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ’ช

Still swatting up at the moment....but the parts accumulation is nearly there. Small progress.
1000014586.jpg

Thanks to the collective here -
It was determined that a 130mm spaced rear hub was available as a 7spd version in 1989 - As spec description in both the Freewheel and Ridgeback Catalogue.
I've bought the correct hub set in readiness to rebuild onto a nice pair of Mavic M7CD rims.
The DX hub in the pic will donate it's 7spd freehub body.

A Shimano M730XT seatpost has been sourced in the correct size but isn't here yet....

A pair of Blackburn Mtn bottle cages has also been sourced. Just waiting for these to also arrive....but Impossible to find in yellow so I will respray these to match the Freewheel image.

Yet to purchase/ source -
-Shimano M730 XT wheel and seat Q/R skewers
-A pair of good condition M731 XT pedals
-1st Gen Avocet R20 saddle (same as the one on my Pace RC100 in the pics) .... although I have a spare 2nd gen I can use in the meantime.

So. No build progress as such, but coming together nicely as a collection of parts at the moment! - hopefully next month might see actual build progress!

Cheers all.
boy"O"boy

Last edited:
Amazing progress of bits! Good luck sourcing the rest! ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ‘
Slowly but surely.....the parts come together.
Although sourcing some of them requires a bit of effort to get exactly what you're after.
The wheels are a prime example of this.
1000015101.jpg
After another fantastic sale with @RetroRider_IT
This lovely pair of virtually unused Mavic M7CD wheels arrived for the build..... perfect!
2 slight problems though....the cassette was jammed on. The bolted rear axle was removed then the freehub taken off.
1000015100.jpg
Next problem. Wrong hubs for this build.
Correct 130mm rear spaced M732 XT hubs sourced.
1000015111.jpg
These are with the 6spd freehub. Once rebuilt, this will be swapped for a 7spd.
1000015110.jpg
Rear axle remains at 130mm rear spacing.

1000015424.jpg
......and rebuilt onto the M732 XT hubs with rubber handles XT Q/R skewers
1000015425.jpg

1000015427.jpg

More updates coming....
boy"O"boy

I do love a pre 1990 bike๐Ÿ˜Ž
Sourcing the correct spec has all been part of the fun. My go to image is the Freewheel catalogue one.... that's the one etched in my memory and fortunately they list the parts spec (although some of the catalogue spec had changed when the brochure was released)

So. More parts found. Some new in packet
1000015428.jpg
Grab on MTN-2 grips

1000015401.jpg
Some needing a bit more work.
1000015403.jpg
The yellow Blackburn MTN bottle cage(s) in yellow are rarely seen. The answer? Black and silver still available to buy new. Silver cheaper than black for some reason? - but that doesn't matter when the Langlows comes out!
1000015404.jpg
The white stem came with the frame but was very chipped. The black one is exactly the same....a ยฃ3 eBay bargain that had been just marked as a 1" stem. Both are going to be repainted in white. I want a spare should I ever get my hands on the elusive 605 SIS fillet brazed Tange Prestige in a sensible 20" size.
1000015423.jpg
1st round of Langlows gets to work.

More progress to follow as these items get painted.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Back