Dave Yates and Orange Prestige.....Both finished builds p.5

In an attempt, to have a level the playing field between the two bikes, i have chosen to use the Pace RC30 rigid fork for the Orange Prestige (thanks Wadsy and MMP).

These are second generation RC30s using columbus steel with bonded dropouts. Approx date of manufacture 1992/3.

Attachments

• RC30_2ndGen_rear.jpg
    RC30_2ndGen_rear.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,936
  • RC30_2ndGen_front.jpg
    RC30_2ndGen_front.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,936
Headsets.......Old faithfull ......DURA-ACE 1", theres not a great deal of choice around if you are looking for quality, but there are still sum stores keeping stock. If anyones looking "St John street cycles", always keep new old stock, of many different types from budget headsets upwards. Dura-ace, exceptional quality and they dont give trouble.....Tried and tested. :cool:

Attachments

• durace..1.jpg
    durace..1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,930
  • Durace headsets..jpg
    Durace headsets..jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,930
This thread gets better and better each time I look at it.

Been kind of busy lately at work and not had a chance to comment, but it is truly exceptional, the quality of the components that have been pulled together and some of them pulled back from the scrap heap too.

How far off finishing are you, I think I will volunteer my services to take the Yates for a test blast when I’m next down, I will let you know how it feels.

:D :D

Any joy with that front mech? I'm keeping them peeled.

maverick":1uu5clq5 said:
This thread gets better and better each time I look at it.

Been kind of busy lately at work and not had a chance to comment, but it is truly exceptional, the quality of the components that have been pulled together and some of them pulled back from the scrap heap too.

How far off finishing are you, I think I will volunteer my services to take the Yates for a test blast when I’m next down, I will let you know how it feels.

:D :D

Any joy with that front mech? I'm keeping them peeled.

getting close to finishing, spent a fair while with the middleburn cranks, they look ok, but not great, to be honest.

The U.S.E seatposts arnt too bad considering there age and they cost a fiver for the pair... :? :oops:

I have tried to keep the overall cost down, buy buying used and hammered stuff that i can clean and polish up. (see sum of the XTR).
By doing it this way, it frees up a bit of cash, to spend on the tyres/saddles/grips/brake blocks/cables etc, as they will be bikes that will be ridden, need good grip and be able to stop.

To try and keep the cost down further (and time), i decided to use both chainring sets that came with the cranks when i bought them. :? :oops:
As you can see from previous pics, they were sandblasted by the previous owner, and to be honest were only good to throw away.
Because they were chuckaways i put them in the powdercoat pile and took a chance, they came out pretty good, they wont last long, but for a fiver they will do for the time being...!!! :roll:

P.s, when you come down next we can take the pair out, and you can tell me what you think of both of them.... :D

Attachments

• middleburn and topline.jpg
    middleburn and topline.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,719
I would like to thank Radoslaw for the XTR front mech......cheers fella as described and im very greatfull, never thought id find one.... :cool:

Attachments

• XTR front mech.....jpg
    XTR front mech.....jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,709
And RacerX for the rear XTR hub, cheers mate, that was good of you... :D Now i just have to find the time to build them up... :?

Attachments

• XTR rear hub.jpg
    XTR rear hub.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,702
The XTR rear mech, is straight and true, but has to have sum tidy up work, to attempt to make it a little more presentable.
Another job i have yet to do....

Attachments

• Battered but useable....jpg
    Battered but useable....jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,696
One of the U.S.E seatposts.........not great but again useable.. :D

Attachments

• U.S.E seatpost....jpg
    U.S.E seatpost....jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,692

Latest posts

Back