Brexit and shipping to EU

What about shipping from the EU to the UK. I recently made a purchase from bikester.co.uk but after I checked out and received the confirmation email it seems bikester is actually a German Company.

I'm wondering if I will get hit for import charges or actually if the item will ever turn up at all.

What about shipping from the EU to the UK. I recently made a purchase from bikester.co.uk but after I checked out and received the confirmation email it seems bikester is actually a German Company.

I'm wondering if I will get hit for import charges or actually if the item will ever turn up at all.
I've heard from UK buyers that VAT and import duty is included in the price on Bikester, but don't take my word for it. But you can probably expect some delay.

you mention 15 euros which I assume is the handling fee they charge for just confirming the declaration is correct? In Denmark its currently around 25 euros
Indeed. That's the charge for confirming the declaration and handling the payment (I pay the import duties + charges to Bpost, who will then pay Customs).

25€ is even worse. At that price I'd probably get on my bike, ride the 40km to Brussels and handle the whole Customs thing myself.

Reactions: Woz
Indeed. That's the charge for confirming the declaration and handling the payment (I pay the charges to Bpost, who will then pay the import duties etc).

25€ is even worse. At that price I'd probably get on my bike, ride the 40km to Brussels and handle the whole Customs thing myself.
If only we could, replace the absolute tools who do the job now. Ordering non-EU products is a hassle. I once ordered a present for my dad from the US, it made its way from Texas to New York, then flown to Denmark in about 5 days. It then sat in a Danish sorting center for over a week, about 30 minutes away from me. Once again the import duty wasn't too bad, but the official postal services handling fee was outrageous.

But yeah, I'm unhappy with the whole situation as I enjoyed buying bits and pieces through this forum, and I've often purchased from the UK, but with the UK as a non-EU country I really can't make the case for continuing. Its just delays and additional fees.

Reactions: Woz
Yeah, this pretty much killed all bike-related trading for me too.

Any discogs users here? The latest message on VAT IDs was as clear as mud...
I used to be on there all the time. Haven't logged in this year yet. Lemme check real quick ...

Ok ...
If the seller is a business, he/she needs to take care of VAT.
If the seller is a regular person, Discogs somehow takes care of the VAT. It's just not entirely clear to me how they will actually do that. I assume it'll involve some code that needs to be in the paperwork.

Yeah. I'm registered with the French La Poste and got an email about this which only today went through the hoops
and getting my head around:

- Purchase from outside the EU, VAT at 20% applied on total goods value, excluding transport. Paid at the point of
sale online by larger online retailers, or at the point of entry from the 1st Euro. No deductions or different VAT rate
unless it's sanitary towels or gear for disabled vehicals etc. etc. A Middleburn crank will get full whack.
Gift, purchase, used, unused etc. makes no difference.

- Customs Duty according to HS tariff code on the item and COO, including transport cost. Exempt if less than 150 Eur.

- Customes Clearance fee. Here, got to say "Vive La France!" - 2 to 5 Euro flat rate for small packages if paid on line
prior. If paid at the door on arrival, 8 Euro. In my mind, this is exactly how should be; a flat rate independent of value
since the paper work processing is exactly the same. It will be hard for other companies to beat this.

- All charges can be claimed back in case of returns........but good luck with that hefty one. Only a telephone number
supplied to deal with it! France being France, at least they have stated that most documents will be archived from
3 years to 6 years per importation. So if your purchases product does have a 5 year guarentee it is potentially feasible.

As we know. Sadly. That's it. There is no maneuver for swaps between UK and EU without being shafted by sovereignty,
and purchases for small low value items are on the back bench.

My parcel from Madrid to uk has been returned to Madrid by UK Customs. No reason given either. It contained wine and Gin and some food items, what we refer to as a Red Cross parcel. 😭😭😭😭
El Cortés Īnglés has also stopped importing UK goods due to overcomplicated paperwork procedures, prescribed by the UK Government.

Placed an ebay order last night from a UK company to find this morning that it had been cancelled and my money refunded immediately. The reason given being that "all channels were now closed". Ebay have listed the sale as being cancelled by the buyer, (not true).
So far this year I've bought parts from Italy, Holland and France all of which have been delivered to Spain quickly.
Whilst I've stopped selling on here I've continued to buy on Retrobike having the parts delivered to my families UK address.

My partner in Madrid can no longer source her contact lenses from the UK via a Spanish opticians. Johnson and Johnson made lenses.

Back