Brexit and shipping to EU

xxnick1975

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I’m sure many of us have bought parts and sold parts (and more) from/to EU over the years.

Has anyone done so recently, post 31 jan 21?

Obviously the media has been frothing about this a bit but whats the reality.

I’m asking now as I have a member in Germany wanting to buy £30ish worth of retro goodness from me so I’d like to oblige but don’t want there to be a shipload of hassle for either party.

(Not looking for Brexit bun fight please!)

Generally under £39 is ignored. You will need to attach customs declaration forms with descriptions codes value etc. You can always tick the Gift box too!

Re:

Just bought some Hope brakes from a member here. I was willing to pay the postage to mainland Spain until he got a quote, nearly 40 quid or 4.60 GBP posted to my families place in the UK. They're now with my family waiting for me to collect them (whenever that will be).

Re:

Bikediscount.de now have a minimum order of 175 quid, plus postage and iirc the website says there could be additional charges our end. Put me off tbh and all I really wanted was some magped pedals. Shame but too late now :(

Re: Re:

shedobits":19uawx9o said:
Just bought some Hope brakes from a member here. I was willing to pay the postage to mainland Spain until he got a quote, nearly 40 quid or 4.60 GBP posted to my families place in the UK. They're now with my family waiting for me to collect them (whenever that will be).

I send stuff to my partner in Madrid each month. If it's under 2kg, then it's around £15.

Re:

Since brexit ive sold a few things to Europe countries. Takes forever it seems and currently in the process of having to claim one as lost. Posted on 13 Jan.

Prices have gone up, not massively though.

I've sent some parts and a bike to the UK. Through ebay under 30, the buyer pays the taxes/duties in advance. Theres a reference which you put on the address line. For more, it's customs that need to check the due tax. Shipping has been fast for small items (3-4 days). The bike that needed to be checked through customs, maybe a week in total.
In reverse, although wco codes are universal, each country in the EU has it's own custom duties/taxes. Some countries cost more than others. I would imagine Germany being more thorough than say france. I think it's planned soon or already in place - to tax items marked as gift too. Everything I've bought from china is marked as gift! Welcome to the non free trade world. For returns, I've read you repay taxes lol. Nightmare

Re:

Thanks all, interesting.

So the form you have to fill in, does it need to be stuck to the outside of the parcel?

Yeh, from the Uk I believe for "gift", just one form on the outside. 3 copies and a receipt if it's a business transaction.

Re:

The form you fill in is a CN22 (up to a certain amount of £) and the post office will have one. Its the same form as you would use for anywhere outside the EU before Brexit. Its crucial you fill it in accurately though, including tariff codes (available on the Governments confusing website) or stuff will be sent back.

I’ve sent a lot and bought a lot in the past couple of months, from the US and Japan the service seems the same though I didn’t pay customs the past two times I had stuff from Japan, and I’d paid EVERY time up till then. Royal mail going out is slower but <touches wood> it has been fine so far, I’ve not heard from anyone what they are paying if anything though. Parcel Force seems to have had some kind of 2000% price hike so I would recommend DPD for Parcels to Europe, seems like a good service so far and they also deal with the customs side in terms of labels for you (filled in online).

Basically everything is slower, and a but more expensive in some cases, customs each way seem to be hit and miss to me!

Back