Brexit and shipping to EU

Many carriers are now offering services clearing packages in either direction, however charges can vary wildly! My partner ships in and out of europe all the time at work. Charges can vary from 12 to £70 for the paperwork.

Also if you buy into the uk from europe check the incoterms of the transaction. Make sure you know whos responsible for the costs. Some companies pay the fees some dont.

You dont want a nasty shock when your parts turn up (or get held awaiting your additional payment).

Best of luck.....and remember.....this is what we voted for.

Not sure about the other way round, but IIRC if you send from the UK to Belgium it's now as follows :

Add the price of shipping to the price of the goods. That combined total is what Customs refers to as the total "Customs Value" of the package.
If the Customs Value is below €22, no extra charges or taxes are added.
If it's between €22 and €150, Customs will charge a €24 flat fee for formalities, then charge 21% VAT on the Customs Value + said formalities.
If it's over €150, they first add an import tax (16.9% if I'm not mistaken), then add another €32 for formalities. Then they charge 21% VAT on the Customs Value + import tax + formalities

If the package goes through the regular postal service instead of by courier, Bpost (the belgian postal service) will add a fee of their own for handling the whole Customs situation. That's an extra €15 if I'm not mistaken.
These costs are typically calculated as the package enters Belgium, so they are billed to the recipient of the package.

Over 95% of my Ebay purchases of the last 10 years were from UK-based sellers. That ended in January. I'm now only buying from German sellers.
It sucks having to run my queries through Google Translate first, but that's a minor inconvenience compared to the cost of buying from the UK and all the potential paperwork involved.

Re:

Im in Ireland,I used to get 90% of my gear from the UK pre brexit but post brexit it doesnt make financial sense for me to buy from the UK.I had a virtual UK address which meant I paid UK post rates plus a minimal few bob on top,it was great.Due to brexit all the courier companies had to cancel their virtual UK address services so post cost alone is prohibitively expensive,especially as international post has now increased.I got one item from the UK after January 1st that cost £70,I was stung for 35e customs for that plus £15 post.Pre brexit that item wouldve cost me £78 all in posted.I now have to search for bits from European sites and sellers,its a ballache :( .

Yeah, it's a f**k up alright. Customs here has a tool to calculate fees. I just ran some simulations.

€25 shipment (so that's item value + shipping cost combined) -> €34.29 in taxes and fees -> €59.34 total cost -> 137% extra
€50 shipment -> €39.54 in taxes and fees -> €89.54 total cost -> 79% extra
€100 shipment -> €50.04 in taxes and fees -> €150.04 total cost -> 50% extra
€200 shipment -> €121.62 taxes and fees -> €321.62 total cost -> 61% extra
€500 shipment -> €245.97 taxes and fees -> €745.97 total cost -> 49% extra
€1000 shipment -> €453.21 taxes and fees -> €1453.21 total cost -> 45% extra
€2000 shipment -> €867.7 taxes and fees -> €2867.7 total cost -> 43% extra

Oh, and add another €15 to the total cost if it goes through the postal service rather than a courier. In the case of the €25 shipment, that would bump the price to €74.34, which is almost 3 times the original cost. That's just stupid.

Hi I wonder if anyone on here can tell me whether there are any carriers in Europe who will ship items over 1.5m length to the UK. I'm trying to buy a grill for a VW van from Lithuania but the seller has had to refund me because he says he can't find anyone to accept a parcel this size (about 2m) Its light because they're only plastic. I appreciate there may be import charges on top but the asking price is good enough I wouldn't mind.

Hi I wonder if anyone on here can tell me whether there are any carriers in Europe who will ship items over 1.5m length to the UK. I'm trying to buy a grill for a VW van from Lithuania but the seller has had to refund me because he says he can't find anyone to accept a parcel this size (about 2m) Its light because they're only plastic. I appreciate there may be import charges on top but the asking price is good enough I wouldn't mind.

Have a look at the courier comparison sites such as parcel monkey. You can literally ship anything, anywhere, for a price.

Mods: Hope mentioning the parcel company site is allowed. I have no affiliation etc.

Back