A couple of pieces I've made during the pandemic

Loving your work @My_Teenage_Self
Do you have a lathe as well? I recently got hold of an old Coronet wood lathe but I really don't have a clue how to use it properly. I wanted to make Opinel style penknives but that is proving difficult. I have made a fire striker ready for the bush knife started above. Wood was a scrap of She Oak.

image.jpeg

I love the patterns in this wood. The handle scales will be the same.

Loving your work @My_Teenage_Self
Do you have a lathe as well? I recently got hold of an old Coronet wood lathe but I really don't have a clue how to use it properly. I wanted to make Opinel style penknives but that is proving difficult.

The wife has one, she lets me use it if I behave. I'm a bit 'gung-ho' with it for her liking though... apparently you're supposed to finesse it. Not jab and hack at it :)

I did make a quick tool for her recently; IMG_0369.jpg

Blimey... 18 months?

My workshop has been filled with Life-things for a long time, things that don't mix well with fire. A few weekends ago I managed to clear it out, and added a new toy to the collection. Ladies & Gents, please meet Mr. Smashy.

Flypress.jpg

A nice 4 ton flypress, which will help speed up punching, drawing out, fullering & flattening.

Made a commission for a jewellery holder; Oak & 8mm steel.

IMG_0148.jpg
IMG_0147.jpg IMG_0146.jpg
IMG_0145.jpg

The oak was pre-cracked, it's been drying for over 10 years - It adds to the honesty. It's held in place with a neodymium magnet set into the base of the oak.

Edit, just noticed in the text. Very useful tool. I have finished a piece or two as well and manacled to plane the top of my finger off with Nigel.

Back