A couple of pieces I've made during the pandemic

And so it goes, this one is junk too.

I managed to gain another inch of blade, thinned it nicely, reshaped the handle - all was good. Heat treated it and a sliver or the outer layer came away. It was paper thin and didn't like the quench. One side is *perfect*, the other had too much removed yesterday due to a single hammer blow that left a mark too deep. As I ground it to remove the blow, the outer layer became too thin :(

Perfect side (it's had a quick etch to show the layer)
good side.jpg

Bad side (there are loads of grind marks in these pics as it's just a rough finish)

Bad Side.jpg

So close...

Last edited:
Kind words, thanks Bud.

I'm putting a handle on this blade anyway, the flaw is only aesthetic. Worst case, i'll have (another) kitchen knife :)

Finished it today, it's up to the potential new owner if they want this one (with the aesthetic flaws) or wait for mk2.

3 layers of steel forge welded together (1070 core, 15N20 outer layers) total length 9.5" with a 5" blade. Coffee stained Oak handle with Brass pins. IMG_0218.jpg IMG_0219.jpg IMG_0220.jpg IMG_0217.jpg

Last edited:
I like that a lot - reminds me a Masamune Katana with those nioi

Sorry for not keeping up (perhaps just looking at the pics rather than focusing on the words .... ) what’s the little house inprint for

Retro Spud":mg6myabu said:
I like that a lot - reminds me a Masamune Katana with those nioi

Sorry for not keeping up (perhaps just looking at the pics rather than focusing on the words .... ) what’s the little house inprint for

Hey Spudly. A Nioi (Hamon) does look similar, but it's not something I've tried yet as it doesn't show in all steels. They look amazing when done well.

The 'doghouse' is just my makers mark/touchmark :)

What do you do when you have a few days off, and can't go out to play? Make an Octopus, obviously.
Octopus2.jpg Octopus.jpg

He's made of some 2" gas pipe and rebar.

Some other pieces I've been working on lately.

A mini Santoku for the wife. Obviously not yet finished, I tend to do the forging when the weathers cold and handles when it's a bit warmer... my garage is cold...
15n20/1080 Sanmai, with a copper bolster and Sapele handle.
Mini Santoku.jpg Mini Santoku2.jpg

And a nice little damascus bushcraft knife (4" blade). About 24 layers of 15n20/1080 in a ladder pattern.

Dama BC2.jpg Dama BC.jpg

undecided on the handle for this one at the moment.

Last edited:
freddok":15hrro98 said:
Gorgeous work !!! Congratulations !! I'm in love with the octopus...

dyna-ti":15hrro98 said:
Mount the octopus on a long pole with a base to make it stand up securely and use it as a coat stand :D

Thanks Guys. The octopus will be getting a fish friend in time... The coat stand is a nice Idea, but there was another plan for him :)

Back