A couple of pieces I've made during the pandemic

yep. Spent an hour or so today making some dies for the flypress, which should help... Some of Shimanos finest chain is currently hanging up to dry after a rather vigorous cleaning. Tomorrow may see my first attempt at canister damascus!

Interesting project. I have been saving all the O1 filings. As I use a file jig, this isn’t difficult. Don’t suppose I’ll ever use it. One thing I am keen to use is some small pieces of car spring. Just enough to flatten out and turn into a small craft knife. Speed ramps do your car no favours if you don’t slow down. I have about five pieces now! I’m part way through making some canvas stretchers for my daughter but once that is done, I think I’m back to the knife making.

Opinel style penknife, and,
salvaged metal craft knife.

I am still loving your flypress. I am doing a round of the antique/second hand places tomorrow. You never know…
Last time they had a couple of decent bench drills!

Can you weld? I've spent more time than I'd like to admit making dies for it, and lots of welding was involved... they're useless without the dies.

Can you weld? I've spent more time than I'd like to admit making dies for it, and lots of welding was involved... they're useless without the dies.

Mmm, not sure you could call it welding exactly! I have a Fluxcore “mig” that I sometimes stick bits of metal together with. With the amps cranked up it is capable of welding quite thick metal together as long as you chamfer everything and let the arc build up some heat. Do you mean stick welding? I was thinking of getting one of those transformer migs that are way lighter to cart around and can do mig, fluxcore, stick and even scratch start tig.

yep. Spent an hour or so today making some dies for the flypress, which should help... Some of Shimanos finest chain is currently hanging up to dry after a rather vigorous cleaning. Tomorrow may see my first attempt at canister damascus!
Nice and warm in your shed/garage today then!

@My_Teenage_Self what are the odds?
D1E91980-D33C-4EE1-9F1C-2F62B17C4A9D.jpeg
Trouble is, it is missing the round weight. How much does that usually weigh? I have a very large sledgehammer head I could use?
6FD4A905-5A6B-41F4-8696-A2E09714B3A1.jpeg
I couldn’t see any dies either.

They want £90 for it. That doesn’t seem too much to me?

I had a fluxcore mig for years - damn capable with some creative pre-heating :)

Not hot yet - but everything is ready to go. Progress so far;

Dies made; The plates are 10mm steel.
AA43D0D3-D52C-4059-B63E-D111FB38B141.jpeg 860160C0-A53F-4D15-A662-4DFDBCC7A293.jpeg

Made 2 canisters - 30mm box with 6mm stainless end plates;
Canister.jpeg

And I've finally managed to make this thread vaguely bike related!!

1000 ball bearings & some old shimano chain!
Chain 1.jpeg Chain 2.jpeg Bearings.jpeg

All welded up and ready to go;
Canister 2.jpeg

Hopefully update later :)

Back