2000 Raleigh RSP 550

Markybeau

Gold Trader
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
At least I'm fairly sure it's a 550. It's the all important (for me anyway) 16" frame.

Ibbz was kind enough to let me relieve him of the frame and forks, so I really should do a build thread.

Remarkably Ibbz managed to obtain a pair of catalogue spec Magura Rond Quake Air forks for this frame which came as part of the package, and he very generously included an FRM headset as a Brucie.

Don't really know much about the history of the frame, although it may have some race pedigree I'm told. With who? I don't know.

Time hasn't been kind to the paint, but from a distance it still looks quite decent, and is certainly still bright. There is a patina that doesn't immediately detract from it, but it's best not to look too close.

I'm not going to respray it, at least not yet, and
it's unlikely it will be catalogue, or a particularly special build for that matter. I'm mostly going to use stuff I've already got. It's going to be ridden, and if I like it, which I probably will, based on my experience with an 18" last year, the mileage will be high. Screenshot_20210729-231146_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Gorgeous mark.
My old magura forks they are. How bizarre! Exact same distinct mark on right side leg.
Look forward to seeing this progress very 😎

Made a little progress today.

I've had a Sugino Mighty 900x crankset sat around for ages which is now on, held by a Un72.

The F.R.M headset is in, and has the tiniest roller bearings I've ever seen.

The rear and front mechs are M952 and M953 respectively. I got the front from @ishaw and it's in really nice condition. I've gone for a conventional rather than e-type as they are much easier to obtain, and cheaper, in higher spec models. The M953 front works better than an M952 I've also tried, as it hangs in front of the boss for the e-type, rather than sitting on it.
I've got a pair of SRT800 X-rays which I'm going to use. I like them, and the original shifters and mechs were SRAM 9.0, so not a million miles away. Ironically a set of which sold on this forum a few days before I was offered the frame.

The wheels are mk1 Crossride. I've had them for a few years and are still in nice nick. They are within a year or two of being correct. The skewers are XT.
Screenshot_20210730-231517_Gallery.jpg

Hmmm, that's a long old bit of steerer sticking up...

Last edited:
Mark, this is coming along very nicely indeed!
It's looking lovely - good choices with the mechs and the Chainset is very eye catching and goes well with the XTR.
Which brakes you going to go for? the Avid Mag/Ti would match the XTR but curious to know what you'll be choosing.

The brakes - I'm going the v-brake route. I get the advantages of disc, and have had several out of control incidents on v's in the wet where, at the time, I'd wished I'd had discs, but I have them already, so v's it is. The brakes I have are a late Avid Arch Rival, almost mint. I love these brakes and although they don't quite match the mechs they are an excellent v brake and not silly money...yet. I'm just waiting on a pair of ti brake bosses before I can fit them.

Levers - I've some turquoise Avid 2.0's or some very nice 1.9L.s. I think the turquoise might be a bit much with all the other colours.

I found an Amoeba riser bar a few months ago, and the only reason I bought it was because it was on the RSP I had last year. I was going to use it on something else, but it has to go on this.

The stem I'm a bit unsure about. I have a Fred Salmon which I've used on a couple of bikes. It'll do for now. I've also got a 3dv Hope stem cap. With the height of the steerer and the stem it might not be the best looker, but it'll probably be comfortable. (I don't want to cut the steerer).
Screenshot_20210801-153834_Gallery.jpg
I've measured the reach from centre (bar clamp) to centre (seatpost) and it's very similar to that of my 98 Stumpjumper.

Last edited:
Coming across very nice indeed!
I do think a flat bar would suit the stem you have here more so though.
you going to leave the steerer as is?
And I was
Wondering whether you’re going to get the Raleigh decals for the Down tube or leave as is?

Ive got a carbon flat bar I can try.

20mm - 25mm, possibly a bit more, needs to come off the steerer. It just doesn't look right. I don't have the tools to do it properly, and pop another star nut in. So it might involve a trip to the LBS.

The decals can wait. If I was getting decals, I'd get it painted.

I’ve got the park tools star nut tool I can post to you - I won’t be needing it for a while so you can take your time. I also have a black FRM stem I’ll give to you! If you want it for the bike. I bought two and am keeping the silver.

Attachments

• C4929165-232D-4CA0-B246-A7541B2C6471.jpeg
    C4929165-232D-4CA0-B246-A7541B2C6471.jpeg
    682.8 KB · Views: 11
Looking good. The steerer is a bit long, it would look a bit better with the spacers above the stem for now.

I think 550 it is!

Attachments

• 655157EB-1724-4CD4-BEFF-84A42CC5A935.jpeg
    655157EB-1724-4CD4-BEFF-84A42CC5A935.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 21
Back