Kona Kula 2000 - New member, first build thread

All done! Well, as much as these things ever are!

The paint comes out quite bright in the daylight and the decals on the fork match the frame perfectly. Really looking forward to taking it out on and see how it handles on the trails.

View attachment 811176

There's a couple of things I may change once I've ridden it - the brake hoses could be a couple inches shorter, and the dropper lever needs replacing with one in the right place. And I'm not sure how long the grips will stay white for! Overall the build was great fun and I'm sure riding it will be even more so. It feels agile and easy to control from the quick ride after taking these photos.

Thanks for taking a look, and for the messages while I've been putting this together. We've got a really welcoming community here and I'm happy to be a part of it.

View attachment 811177View attachment 811179
Nice build with some reliable no nonsense kit, a proper workhorse.

@JERider That's cool - I'd say Marzocchi forks are a great choice and the ones you have are the original Zokes 500? Assuming yours is a 1994 as it matches the one in the catalog at https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery...ve/Kona/Catalogues/Kona+Catalog+1994.pdf.html
I recommend posting a thread to see if you can get some advice on the service/seals - and see if you can keep the original forks as they're really nice.
Thanks for some advice, I have done some research on eBay and found Dr Marzocchi service/seal kit for the xc500 forks I have and want to stick with the original forks as they are very light so a full service kit is what I’m going to purchase and get these working again.

Thanks for some advice, I have done some research on eBay and found Dr Marzocchi service/seal kit for the xc500 forks I have and want to stick with the original forks as they are very light so a full service kit is what I’m going to purchase and get these working again.
You might want to buy directly as usualy it is cheaper as Ebay because of fee's and I do RetroBike discounts.
There are 3 different Seal Kits for XC500 from small to complete (including sticker, tools, 2! sets of seals, bits etc.).
Happy to answer your questions about!🤙

Check my Marzocchi Manuals Repository : https://public-repository.org/

Last edited:
Are you saying your entire handlebar & stem assembly is held in place by the bolt that goes into the star-fangled nut?
If that´s the case, it´s a recipe for disaster!
The bolt and star-fangled nut aren´t meant to be ´structural´, they are just there to preload the bearings during assembly.
In fact, in a normal situation, once the stem is secured, they can both be removed from the bike with no ill effect.
Appologies if I have the wrong end of the stick here, but if I don´t I´m worried about your safety.
Provided there's a decent bit of the actual steerer clamped alongside the 'extension' it should be okay

From closer inspection of the photo, it does look like it´s 50% steerer 50% extension that the stem is clamped on, so not as bad as I initially thought.
Still not sure I´d trust it for anything more than a gentle road ride, but each to their own I guess.
I mean I know folks who've done some offroad riding using steerer extenders, plugging them into too short threaded forks to make them threadless and running them with aheadset, essentially only clamping unto the quill, so in comparison I'd say this is far safer. But I think you're right to err on the side of caution. I would prefer it welded into the steerer.

Latest posts

Back