What wax or polish?

JoeG

Retro Guru
I have a 2002 Klein Adept Race (Yes, I know its Trek era) that I bought last fall.

23207046171_01b68b4cef_b.jpg

Its a silver metal flake oversprayed with a transparent paint that changes from green to blue depending on the angle of viewing. I just used rubbing compound to get rid of the horrible scratches. A few deep chips and little scuffs are left; I'm happy to live with those.

Is that car scratch fix worth using?

What wax or polish should I use? Because of the frame linkages, I'd probably have to take the thing apart to get at all of the areas around the suspension and shock if I use a paste or cream wax. NuFinish (orange bottle) is my normal car wax.

Or would I be better off using one of those liquid spray waxes so that I wouldn't have to take the bike apart?

Other thread http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 3#p2551023

Re:

Liquid wax will do, don't be shy with it, nice liberal coat and when dry/haze give it a nice buff.
Don't go to mad getting the wax into the pivot points, just use your noggin.

No need to strip the bike down.

Spray wax is OK, but has a tendency to get on wheels and brakes, which makes for an interesting ride :)

Re: Re:

scottproonly":250wsgvx said:
You still need a bit of elbow grease even with those spray waxes,don't you?
Kes

Commen misconception.
If wax is used properly it only requires a light glaze, a mist if you will over the surface.
If done correctly a wipe over with good microfibre cloth will remove the haze.

Thick coats or crappy wax like autoglym leave a chalky residue and dust up.
Also dries like concrete.

HTH

Re:

Don't worry about it, mud will still stick whatever you use. Just ride the ruddy thing!
Oh, my mistake, it's a Klein! :LOL:

Re:

I have no idea what you mean. Please define these terms:

ride -

mud -

And what do they have to do with a mountain bike?

:mrgreen:

Whatever they stock in the £1/$1/€1 is good enough.

Soft cloth to apply, a soft cloth to buff off and a soft cloth to work the shine.

Re:

It will be the liquid spray on wax.

Looked at the suspension linkage, the internally routed cables, and other details while doing a bit with the polishing compound. There are lots of nooks and crannies to hold bits of white dried wax. So I'll do the spray on liquid wax with the wheels removed (and maybe brake pads taped over or something).

But first it needs a good wash as I gave it a real quick wash the day I bought it and didn't get in all of the tight spots. its winter, but the weather may cooperate on Sunday.

Re:

I wouldnt easte my tine with wax nor polish even if it is a klein.

For fixing scratch, would some clear laquer do it?

Back