Refinishing black seatposts

Cerakote..done it loads of times. Hard, thin, various colours. Gloss level can be adjusted by mixing and there is a clear coat option if needed for ultra shiny surfaces.

I was going to suggest that too - although I've only done one seatpost - the original for an Orange P7

Stems however - done a few of them and they fit beautifully still.

After cleaning wit isopropyl I brushed on a generous coating, it started blueing immediately.

P1010217.JPG

A few seconds later...

P1010220.JPG

It's not perfect but it is a lot better. I'm going to rinse it off, clean again and repeat the process. I don't know if the blackening will deepen much, I have a feeling that once the metal has reacted with the solution that's it, but I'll give it a go.

After cleaning wit isopropyl I brushed on a generous coating, it started blueing immediately.

View attachment 831971

A few seconds later...

View attachment 831970

It's not perfect but it is a lot better. I'm going to rinse it off, clean again and repeat the process. I don't know if the blackening will deepen much, I have a feeling that once the metal has reacted with the solution that's it, but I'll give it a go.
remains porous until you add oil to fill the holes.
will darken with a second coat.

Does it look as good from close up as in the picture? This definitely motivates me too get a bottle of this gun blue as well. Looks like a good method to refinish posts, stems, bars and maybe even frames.
Pretty much, you can see the areas that were previously bare as the bluing contrasts slightly against the original finish, but you have to hold it up to the light and rotate it to really see it.

It might be worth sanding back the entire affected area so that the finish is perfectly uniform, but in my case that wasn't really necessary. The results far exceeded my expectations. It looks almost new when viewed from a couple of feet away.

The post in the pic had been polished lightly with a bit of oil, to seal the porous surface, and currently it's soaking in an oil bath, as recommended by various guides. I think it will look even better after 24 hours.

Edit - It only works on steel (not stainless), and not aluminium etc.

Last edited:
So I gave this a try today. Here is before:

IMG_7106.jpeg

IMG_7107.jpeg

IMG_7108.jpeg

IMG_7109.jpeg

Pretty much has the mottled look all over with a large section towards the middle basically being polished and free of any of the original coating.

And this is after:

IMG_7143.jpeg

IMG_7144.jpeg

IMG_7145.jpeg

I cleaned the post down first with some brake cleaner and fine wire wool before applying a coat, literally seeing it work in front of my eyes and then polishing it with a microfiber cloth. I saw it had missed spots or still looked mottled so tried another two cycles.

What I will say is I do think it has improved the look. The mottling is darker.. slightly, but it has been really effective on the area that had no coating on at all. It’s not quite as black as the original coating but it is a hell of a lot shinier.

I think if you were to strip all the original al coating and then use the gun blue it could look half decent. That said - I’ve dug out some old bars so I’m going to practice on them. Sanding off all the old paint, polishing them and using the gun blue to see how it could look if done ‘right’.

In direct sunlight it does highlight the mottling a fair bit more. But sitting on my desk inside now… it looks great. So I guess it’s semi successful.

Attachments

• IMG_7146.jpeg
    IMG_7146.jpeg
    727.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7147.jpeg
    IMG_7147.jpeg
    753.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7148.jpeg
    IMG_7148.jpeg
    748.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7149.jpeg
    IMG_7149.jpeg