Waxing my....

Imlach

98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Chain.

Any good? I have been annoyed at how quickly my chains end up gritty and grindy, I do mostly gravelly sort of rides. And when that mudbutt water splashes all over, squirting its teenie weenie stone infested liquid stool all over my chain, I know it's only a matter of time before I have to take it off and clean it again

That's when I thought about the gimmicky waxing tips I used to see on MTBR.. Do any of you wax? If so how frequently? Do they occasionally get handsy? What can you get for a surcharge?

Oh feck wrong forum

So do any of you wax your chains? Would it allow my chains to survive the brown tsunami for a wee bit longer?

Discuss

I did. these days I use a wet lube for the wet stuff and dry lube when things get dryer.

I've had mixed results with waxing, the one that worked best was graphite and wax, but I've heard tell that new magic elixer type stuff is just as good if not better. thinking smooooove.

as to the bikini line, I don't have one, it's smooth all over for me. aerodynamic's in it. :)

I've tried it. Wax and water don't really mix I'm afraid.
Unless you use some other drip lube over the top, chains will rust.
Not a great look that, a rusty chain.😟

I wax my chain using putoline in a small chip fryer.I find the wax coating lasts longer than traditional lubes in reasonably dry conditions and road dust can be hosed off without causing rust on the chain.Caveat here is that I mainly gravel bike these days.If I venture out on a mountain bike in muddy conditions the wax coating lasts no better than a traditional lube,both need a thorough clean after every ride.On average I wax my chain monthly,currently out on my bike 3-4 times a week.I find the whole process of removing the chain and dropping it into the wax takes less time than cleaning with solvents on the bike and I have the comforting feeling that the wax is getting into the internal chain bits better than external chain lubes.Since changing to 1x11 chain life seemed shorter,however this improved when I went over to waxing.Hope this helps.

Back