Cannondale M800 (Light Project)

I started this thread of saying it was a "Cannondale M800 (Light Project)" - Light as in I did not need to do too much, its just grew arms and legs once you strip everything down. This will be my last build for another few years.

Last edited:
One step forward and two steps back! Point to note when priming alloy, you need an "Acid Etch" Primer and not a "Standard Car Primer" - I should have know this as I painted four car alloy wheels, well that was ten years ago. "Etch" has:

Well Google: "how does Etch primer work" and you will find out.

Back to the shops, at least I only tried a test area. (Don't make the same mistake above)

Last edited:
Update - I have rubbed off more primer than I have put on. :rolleyes: Ouch ! - I wish that one stuck into Art & Design more at School. All I made was a Clay Pot that just flopped and cracked when fired in that Kiln.

That "Etch" vapour is making me feel fuzzy.

Last edited:
Apart from a few areas in the image, the rest of the frame is immaculate, its just tedious with 1200 wet and dry trying to ensure its ok for the Etch Primer, the top part has been "Etched" with a really fine paint brush. Being honest I have much more patience with mechanical things than this task, I will try my best as it does not warrant a full re-powder or paint, also there is no way to find 1994 M800 decals like the originals.

Where is my beer!

Attachments

• Thirty Three.JPG
    Thirty Three.JPG
    420.3 KB · Views: 15
It's becoming "obsessional" ! - What is it with bikes! I have enough push bikes and motorbikes, just one more for that nostalgic longing for those long-gone moments in history with that one bike. (Anyone else have those moments?) (n+1) 🤪

Attachments

• Thirty Four.JPG
    Thirty Four.JPG
    401.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Update the paint work is coming on slowly but surely. (pictures to follow soon) Removed the Dia-Compe fork race and fitted the Chris King PHS434 1 1/4" fork race/base plate (whatever you want to call it) - My word your gonna have to cut the steerer tube off the fork to remove that lower bearing race, its going nowhere fast. @jonnyboy666 - so far so good, ta again. :)

I was swearing at one point. 🤪

Last edited:
Top tip, I never had a fork race removal tool. What I did was use a brand new Stanley Blade and just tap it with a hammer around the lower race this will set the race free and gently push it upwards, just be patient with it and you will get it off. (unless its that Chris King one I just fitted, their tolerances are very tight)

Back