What constitutes 'bumping' your own ad....??

LikeClockwork":30bxl9oi said:
KDM":30bxl9oi said:
I would have thought the best clarity would have come from a pm to the mods rather than starting a thread?

I wanted to start a discussion, as is my right I would have thought. Was interested to publicly hear others views on a subject that intrigued me, job done by the looks of it after reading back through all of this!

As I said - 'worms, can, open'

As you were....

Absolutely "is your right" I questioned however wether your way of doing it was right?

Rather than acting like a teen with special snowflake syndrome I would have thought a better and more genuine way of addressing this concern would have been to contact the mod directly with a pm pointing out your concerns, then if you were not satisfied, a pm to the site owner expressing concerns about that mod and asking the site owner to review the situation. This would of allowed a better chance of resolution with direct involvement.

Instead it appears you have gone down the "miss, miss, he's picking on me miss, look everyone he's picking on me and not everyone, it's not fair"

The irony, at no time do you say you have been approached directly or officially chastised by the mod yourself in relation to such claims so you seem to be complaining on others behalf's who I would have thought could have approached any mod or the site owner themselves surely?

The core of your alleged unhappiness is that generally they take a laid back approach and from time to time, they use their own initiative just to nudge and remind members that the site does have some rules. From what you and others have said, it's been nothing more than nudges. Myself I prefer the laid back approach with occasional reminders rather than a heavy handed every detail of every advert monitoring.

I am puzzled by your need to be so public about something so small. It could have been easily dealt with by contacting a mod directly with a concern and or the site owner but I would ask that possibly if you personally have experience of such a claim, which it appears by your posts that you have not, then perhaps another route might be involving the mod and site owner at an earlier stage to resolve a concern rather than the public way it seems to have taken place to get a group to then go after an individual mod?

Something to consider as an option in the future maybe? Even more so given the mods are volunteers using their own free time making the site for me anyhow, one of the more relaxed moderated sites I use.

I appreciate you may not agree with my view but felt it was another option that may help to avoid such unnecessary drama in the future.

Re:

Right, let's be absolutely clear about this, I am not picking on any particular mod, neither am I defending any particular member's actions. I never used THM as an example. If you look, I haven't contributed an awful lot to this thread myself.

For the record, me and RobMac get on just fine, I even send him a birthday card. If I remember. THM is the most recent example of what I was asking about, i.e., Rob said he had had PM's from other members complaining about THM bumping his thread. I hoped by having an OPEN discussion here we could perhaps find out what it is these members feel constitutes 'bumping' as it's a grey area going by the rules alone, and also to see if other members had an opinion on what they would consider 'bumping'.

The issue that I mentioned I'd had was actually a long time ago now, it was sorted out easily and it turned out I hadn't done anything wrong. Again, what would make you go to a mod via PM to complain of bumping? As in, what would you consider a 'bump' too far?

I wouldn't want to be a mod. I think they do an amazing job, and I'm not trying to start a trend of behind the scenes moderating, I'm genuinely interested to hear others opinions and air the subject. Maybe as a result of this discussion, the job of the mods will be made a little easier? BUT that's not my motivation here, to make it easier or more difficult, it's simply to have the discussion.

Re:

A bump to me is a deliberate post to just bump the thread.
E.G. a new post with bump in it, still for sale, come on guys etc. no meaning of the post other than to move it up.

Pictures, replies to dibs, more detail etc is not a bump. It is normal thread discussion.

Not everyone likes to do things in private, this is a public thread and some like to be transparent with sales and information.

Yes some additional info may be an extra post, but it is so much easier just to reply or add a new one post, than to edit in this old software on a mobile device/tablet than edit a post.

Come on it is a free place to use, none of it is the end of the world. Not everyone can use the phpbb forum well, especially in mobile form. So much I don't bother to edit errors in my typing now is it is such a faff.

Come on there are worse posts like, nice bike and good luck with sale, wish it was my size when they know it isn't as the detail is there are more annoying as they are pointless in a sale thread.
They should be the ones deleted.

Back