Truing Problem

Racin'snake

Gold Trader
Cannondale Fan
Feedback
View
So both the front and rear need truing...not usually a problem but these have round straight pull spokes that spin when you turn the spoke key. I've tried soft jaw pliers but no luck...do I need to spend my money on a park tool thingy or is there a simple solution I'm missing? Thanks all :)

I had this issue on a set on my F3000. I ended up cutting the spokes out and putting new spokes in. It worked.

Yup.

A PITA and replacing spokes is a butt twitching pant shitting experience when you cut the old spoke out - they are loaded with an incredible amount of tension in the spokes.

The way to do it is mole grips with the spoke sandwiched between two longish bits of wood to increase the friction / surface area. Lot's of WD40 at the rim nipple end. Usually, only very minute amounts on the spoke key are needed. Parktool do a special spanner which I would recommend because the Mavic tool is pretty useless.

Yup.

A PITA and replacing spokes is a butt twitching pant shitting experience when you cut the old spoke out - they are loaded with an incredible amount of tension in the spokes.

The way to do it is mole grips with the spoke sandwiched between two longish bits of wood to increase the friction / surface area. Lot's of WD40 at the rim nipple end. Usually, only very minute amounts on the spoke key are needed. Parktool do a special spanner which I would recommend because the Mavic tool is pretty useless.
Thanks... I had thought of soaking the offending nips in plus-gas overnight. The wood sounds like a good shout! I'll try this tomorrow and report back to base. Cheers

I tried so many things. Even in the end simply gripping the spokes in a vice/ using heat/ plus gas etc. nothing worked.

I cut one spoke out at a time and replaced it. Did around 7-8 in the end and was fairly simple. Finding the correct spokes less so.

I tried so many things. Even in the end simply gripping the spokes in a vice/ using heat/ plus gas etc. nothing worked.

I cut one spoke out at a time and replaced it. Did around 7-8 in the end and was fairly simple. Finding the correct spokes less so.
Oh super 🤣
Well if all else fails.... off to visit rare/hardtofindspokes.com
😆

Back