Which circlip pliers?

rmwesley

Retro Guru
I've managed for however many years without any circlip pliers on the basis I don't use them very often. When I do need one, I go through the usual rigmarole of circlips pinging off round the workshop, losing the ends of my fingertips, doing a bodge job with pliers, tweezers etc. and general profanity. Today was one of those days (the losing the ends of fingertips & profanity version), so I've decided to bite the bullet and buy some. I'm generally a fan of Park Tools but not 100% wedded to them & the price of the Park Tool RP-SET.2 set is eye-watering.

Are there any other recommendations? Especially since having always bodged it, I don't really know what I'm looking for. The Park Tool set has the following mix, which I assume is bike specific:

- 0.9mm straight internal — opens from 22mm down to 0 (tips touching)
- 1.3mm bent internal — opens from 22mm down to 2mm (center to center)
- 1.3mm bent external — opens from 2mm (center to center) up to 18mm
- 1.7mm bent internal — opens from 21mm down to 2mm (center to center)
- 1.7mm straight internal — opens from 25mm down to 0 (tips touching)

However, it seems difficult to replicate these same specs with a non bike specific brand. I'm guessing not all the ones above are really needed unless you work on some specific brand of modern dropper post with titanium flux capacitor reverb boost springs. Or are they actually all equally useful?

Any recommendations gratefully received. Cheers, Richard

Last edited:
I've heard Knipex is good stuff and they're often on sale so a good deal cheaper than Parks

I just cry and scream and eventually it all works out with a flathead and some bloodied fingers

one pair internal and one pair external, everything else isn't needed. for the amount you will use them I'd by a set of rolsons finest from ebay.

in fact I did for leaving in the portable tool box.

in the posh box I have something a bit more special, but still not bike specific.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
90% of people don't realise that circlips are sided.
Cheap circlips won't be sided and that's why they are cheap.

To explain the above, the hole in the tang is pressed and one side is smaller than the other by design (not by virtue of being pressed) so the hole is chamfered not parallel .
A circlip tool should have the correct tips which are slightly larger at their very ends, this is why you have replacement tips and don't just grind them.
Put a new circlip down on a flat surface and insert the tips, using minimal pressure the clip will stay in place as the holes and pins match up and pull square. If the clip is on the wrong side it will try to escape as the holes chamfer is the wrong way around.

Once you start working like this you understand why circlips are so useful and easy to use.

90% of people don't realise that circlips are sided.
Cheap circlips won't be sided and that's why they are cheap.

To explain the above, the hole in the tang is pressed and one side is smaller than the other by design (not by virtue of being pressed) so the hole is chamfered not parallel .
A circlip tool should have the correct tips which are slightly larger at their very ends, this is why you have replacement tips and don't just grind them.
Put a new circlip down on a flat surface and insert the tips, using minimal pressure the clip will stay in place as the holes and pins match up and pull square. If the clip is on the wrong side it will try to escape as the holes chamfer is the wrong way around.

Once you start working like this you understand why circlips are so useful and easy to use.

Very interesting & useful info! Many thanks for this and all the other replies.

Back