Rapid Rise vs. Front Freewheel (or both?)

Oh also I never knew of the M9's existence, but it may be just what I need for my Stinky and its 42T rear casette. What's your opinion on the build quality of that derailleur, is it as nice sturdy as it looks in the pictures online?

I went with gripshifters. As many gears either way as I need. No time to twiddle my thumbs in urban South Florida traffic ( statistically most unsafe place to ride in the US). The Saint and Hone Rapid Rise both require hard to find 10mm through axles. The Hone hubs can be found cheap due to the unpopularity of this. The Saint hubs require their own larger centerlock brake spline so avoid those. The Zee is 10/11 speed clutch derailleur era so no Rapid Rise there AFIK. Plenty of LX,XT,XTR stuff out there. Most of the road series, Nexave, Tourney, 105 had it also.
I avoid trigger shifters with these because of the limited downshifting due to the reverse pattern.
I've used SRAM Rocket and Attack Shimano compatible twisters. But the spring load/ ratchet load is backwards to the derailleur spring. They mostly work, but upshift when wet can be difficult. The Ebike was 3x8 and now is 1x8. The Shimano 8 speed RR Revoshifters work well. But don't have the knobby grips that SRAM has, so they can get slippery also. But not as hopeless as the SRAM. Some people have used LH shifters on the right to get proper cable pull. I have a few of these but haven't tried it yet. Both my bikes are form early 2k era when gripshifts and Rapid Rise were popular. I found more reasons to keep it than to switch. But now that 'm running the even more ancient, and controversial front freewheel on both bikes most of the advantages of RR are already there. Except for downshift when stopped. One bike is now 1x11, and getting them both shifting in the same direction may be the deciding factor to move away form RR. Nothing to do with RR itself. But 20 years of shifting a certain way is hard to unlearn.

Oh also I never knew of the M9's existence, but it may be just what I need for my Stinky and its 42T rear casette. What's your opinion on the build quality of that derailleur, is it as nice sturdy as it looks in the pictures online?
I tried the M9. It seems like they just built a longer derailleur hanger into the deraillaur itself. It was pretty far away from the small cogs. But it does go up to 52t.
You might look at the ZEE. There are 2 versions. The DH has the SS cage for 28t cassette. The FReeride is GS for 36t. But at MTBR there is a bike with the 28t cage on a 42t cassette. Chain length is critical. The only explanation I've heard is thht for full suspension DH bikes Shimano builds in a lot of extra derailleur capacity for chain growth due to suspension travel. Also modern SS is looking a lot like older GS, and newr GS is almost as long as older SGS. I have a Zee DH on the way. This may end up on the XC bike. I have a theory that Shimano 11s is the same cable ratio as the SRAM 1:1 stuff. So I'll try a vintage SRAM 8 speed 1/2 pipe twist shifter with modern 11s Shimano Zee derailleur. I'm at 40t cog on both bikes. For the 11s bike the SRAM NX Gripshift is working fine with Shimano already. I may stick with gripshifter but switch from Rapid Rise to my own front freewheel mods to shift with or w/o pedaling any time the bike is moving. Full range up or down.
But I do have some Saint axles on the way and a saint RR derailleur in hand. If i can get RR to work on 11s it may be XTR on the XC bike, and Saint axle mount on the Urban Ebike. The Saint really is designed for banging off of things.
1713273345179.png

Last edited:
I've just ordered a Jtek Shiftmate 6 (UK bodging supplies from SJS Cycles). This converts cable travel between SRAM to Shimano 8-9 speed ratio. Most often used to run the wrong shifters. But by reversing the mismatch that means derailleurs too. I adds or subtract travel depending on which pulley diameter the cable goes into first. I might get to RR on 11s with Twist shifters after all. FFW of course.

I've got the Zee in hand, and it is compact. The cage is shorter than my XTR GS.
Weights
Saint M800 9s GS RR 370G. No clutch .
Zee M640 SS DH 270g Metal clutch lever for hard use.
XTR M960 9sGS RR 200g no clutch
Let's throw the Linkglide M5130 in here too. 360g. and 13t idlers making the shortish cage come out around GS length. Son of Saint.
Rumor has it that it IS 11s compatible, but made for CUES cassettes and shifters, which are not compatible due to different cog spacing....
So I can do both my bikes with modern clutch derailleurs, or both with high end Rapid Rise, dependent an a Saint 10mm through axle conversion for the Ebike. I think my flat prevention is good enough. But I would lose my locking QR skewers. Then there's the matter of an 11s Rapid Rise shifter for the XC bike. One misstep at a time..

Last edited:
I set up a dummy bike to test fit all the derailleurs I have.
The M9 is simply built for 46t and up to 52t cassettes. Heavy return spring and non adjustable "Stabilizer" aka clutch. Too big for me.
My Rapid Rise LX looks like it can go 40t with a longer B screw mod. But can I get it to shift an 11s backwards?????
The RR XTR is known good up to 40t. same question as above. Would be nice on the 11s XC bike.
The SS caged Zee can go on the 40t cassette, but the geometry is way off for the smaller cogs. The Freeride GS version is probably better. I might put the SS cage on one of those and see how that goes. I do like short cages on 26" urban bikes. But with Front freewheel you can pull them all up next to the frame as needed.
M5120- modern clutch type GS cage 10/ 11s derailleur. I'll see if I can retrofit it to 8-9 speed with SRAM shifters.
The M 5130 looks interesting. Nice rugged part and fits in the 40-43t range nicely. 13t idlers look serious. Shimano says only Linkglide compatible.
Others disagree. This would be nice for the Ebike if I abandon Rapid Rise.
Then there's the Saint. GS RR, 10mm through axle. I might make up a 10mm stub to go on a QR skewer just fit it up. I'd definitely like this on the Ebike. But getting to 10mm X 135mm through axle will take some doing. I seem to have my flat prevention at a point where roadside tire reapairs are a thing of the past. Axles are on the way. I have a 10x135 hub here......
As far as shifters go I have a huge pile of twist shifters. SRAM in 1:1 and 2:1 Shimano, RR and standard, Some LH twisters with various numbers of clicks also. All front derailleurs are Low Normal (Rapid Rise) so they pull backwards already. I'm waiting for the Jtek shifter ratio converter to arrive form UK.
I do have a Shimano 3020 derailleur 8s x 40t on the Eikee now. But it choked on the 11s chain when the XTR was OK with it. I think it's on the way out of the rotation..

The problem with the Zee is that I got the DH version thinking that it was the SS size, and the FR version was the GS cage. But they're both SS sized. The solution turns out to be that the SLX which is on the bike now has the same part# hanger extension as the FR Zee. This solves the problem.
I do this sort of thing on purpose. It produces more info. than taking the easy way out. But for future reference just get the right one to start with.
Unless of course you have some 2x 7-8 retro XC bike with an 11-28 cassette. Then this should work with SRAM 1:1 gripshifters.. It seems the SS derailleur can take up to 30-31t capacity if chain length is closely tuned.
One thing I did learn is that the older derailleurs (and the Zee) had the guide pulley centered over the cage pivot. Newer ones have an offset there. This compensates for the cassette size as the chain is taken up. More take up moves the guide pulley further out as it goes. So chain length plays a bigger part in this than it used to. One like the SunraceM9 has a huge offset, and huge pulleys so this effect is quite large there. So a lot of the geometry for these larger cassettes is in the derailleur cage offset pivot, and not the linkages.
The cassettes are all about the same width they've always been. So the linkages aren't the issue.

Last edited:
Back