Oh no I want to do stuff again

Imlach

98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I want to build wheels but if I spend more money I may be subjected to a whipping and not the sort of whipping I want

But little things that can be snuck in can be bought

So nipples... Nipple drivers... Tension tools... Dishy tools *giggles*

What do I need? I'm going to use an old fork to make a DIY truing stand. I'll buy a park tool dishing tool.. Do I need a tensionometer-thingymajig? Do I need a dedicated nipple driver or is calling the occasional part time nipple cabby good enough?

Should I get a bunch of different spoke sized nipple tensiones? Or are the nipple clamps in the bedside table good enough?

Help.

This was not meant to go in off topic, sorry. I just clicky button and bash my head into the keyboard

Last edited:
How expensive does one go for a tool to measure the tension of the long hard spoke protruding from the hand greased nipples?
I googled spoke tension meter; you can go as high as you like, it seems 300/400 euros. No ,but seriously, all you need is the dishing tool, I think

Dishing tool is cheapish so that's a given. How about a nipple driver?
I use a flat screw driver, sheldon brown recommends grinding down an old cross head. Can’t say I’ve felt the need to get a driver but I’m sure it would speed things up (not that my builds ever go quickly).

I use a flat screw driver, sheldon brown recommends grinding down an old cross head. Can’t say I’ve felt the need to get a driver but I’m sure it would speed things up (not that my builds ever go quickly).
Putting it on the maybe list. Will drink heavily and decide.

Done all mine on a single sided wheel building jig, flat head, variety of spoke keys and a tape measure.
Single sided truing, does that mean it only has a pointy thingy that goes towards the rim on one side? What are the benefits of the two sided ones anyhow

Back