The Late, Great Bontrager Race Lite

No one is curving Colnago precisa or yo eddy or steve potts P2 forks yet. Neither accutrax. It´s been debated to exhaustion to no conclusion by roadies who are very sensitive to how their forks behave.
You listed straight blade forks and then said there is no conclusion made by roadies who are sensitive so I'm not sure what you are arguing here.

Why were those forks built straight rather than curved?

The only way to know for sure if frame is corrected or not for susp is to measure BB drop then compare to the geo diagram; no builder messed w/bb drop.
The geo chart doesn't specify different BB height for sus / non suspension so that isn't really going to help me.
size_chart.JPG

ground to center BB is 11.75" on this bike with this Igleheart fork, for whatever that is worth.

This bike was tuned for front susp: it´s geometry throws a lot weight up on arms and front wheel

Was it? We don't even know if it is a suspension corrected frame or not. The comp fork that came with this frame(from the original to the previous owner) and was on offer the same year as this frame was made had an AC of 395-400mm.

Ryne, this looks fantastic! Bravo, nice build! Perfect time to get that bike outside in this gorgeous spring weather.
Cheers! had a great ride today minus the snake and the endo. Can't wait to see progress on your build.

You listed straight blade forks and then said there is no conclusion made by roadies who are sensitive so I'm not sure what you are arguing here.

Why were those forks built straight rather than curved?

The geo chart doesn't specify different BB height for sus / non suspension so that isn't really going to help me.
View attachment 746324

ground to center BB is 11.75" on this bike with this Igleheart fork, for whatever that is worth.

Was it? We don't even know if it is a suspension corrected frame or not. The comp fork that came with this frame(from the original to the previous owner) and was on offer the same year as this frame was made had an AC of 395-400mm.

Cheers! had a great ride today minus the snake and the endo. Can't wait to see progress on your build.
Susp corrected Bontys have a slightly shorter top tube: 22.6 x 22.75. Never saw a post 93 Bonty non susp. Beautifull bike, congrats.
Most people don´t feel any difference between curved or straight forks w/ 700x23 tires pumped to 100 psi...nevermind w/ 2.1 tires at 30 psi. Supple steel forks use lighter gauge tubing like the Fat Chance box crown. It´s more comfortable but won´t track rightfooted under power over heavier trails. A Potts P2 has a stiiff crown and light gauge blades. Bonty forks came w/ different gauges to chose. I suspect those experiencing shimmy have the lighter gauge. The yo eddy fork has big diameter non tapering blades and it tracks very well. Later on, Chance opted for smaller diameter, the BOI and the ride became more supple. It looks the Igleheart you have.
Bontragers have steeper seat angles and shorter rakes. It moves your weight over the front wheel among other things and then the feel from your forks becomes more noticeable.

Last edited:
Back