Bontrager #3 - '94 Race

br0qn

Retro Guru
Time to get this thread going, of my projects this one should be rolling soonest.

I couldn't help myself when this one popped up on craigslist. It ticked several boxes for me

- blue or purple (really wanted blue but into either)
- medium
- race (already have the race lite)
- 2 piece stay (race lite has the single piece)

The seller picked the frame up from a neighbor and he volunteers at a bike rescue which accounts for his build. Funnily I had been toying with the idea of building the OR up as a 700c CX wannabe.

It was listed for more than I wanted to pay but I reached out to the owner to see if he'd sell just the frame with the stem and bars and we settled on a price. It took me several weeks to get there to collect and by the time I did the seller let the whole thing go for the initially agreed price. I rode out to Oakland to collect the frame on my OR so I wasn't prepared to collect a whole bike but managed.

IMG_20220911_151648.jpg

It has the original seat post collar and pulley wheel though no chainsuck plate. Also, it has the hard to find early, Santa Cruz made, Race Lite stem which I had been hunting though that stem will go to the Race Lite and I'll use the Taiwan made, Race stem on this build. Many of the other parts originally collected and destined for the Race Lite will be used on this build instead as I've since decided having both of these it will be fun to make the Race Lite a weight weenie rocket ship.

Sold off the Avocet saddle and found this rad yellow Bontrager SSM. The other 2 are for the OR and the Race Lite.

saddles.jpg

Been riding it as is for a bit but I've got everything I need to rebuild it proper, just finishing cleaning and prepping parts.

IMG_20221105_132949.jpg

IMG_20221109_130038.jpg

Just a Ti and the two variants of privateer and you'll have a full house :)
Ha! I do want a 1 1/8" Privateer to use to build around a fork I have and I have been inquiring about a size medium Ti Lite but he won't part it out and I don't want the whole build... what I really want is a CX though. Someone sell me one of those!

Hope you're getting clips and straps for those pedals!

I personally couldn't stand riding mine without, and as I don't like running clips and straps I stopped using them.

Lovely looking, mind you!

I have the power grips that are going back on now that the hardware is all cleaned up.

I remember you mentioning before your disdain for these pedals, we'll see how I get on with them.

The yellow SSM is going on this black DEAN post with replacement decals going on soon.

_1001966.jpg

More WI kit including the skewers and Tracker (suspension) front hub.

_1002003.jpg

Finished cleaning up an assembling the crank which warrants a WI group photo I think.

_1002152.jpg

I have the non suspension version of these hubs on the OR along with modern ENO cranks and rings, and they're very nice, but this is my first time with the older, also USA made, C series cranks which are also super nice and more interesting to look at. Fitted with NOS rings, Profile Racing middle and Real big/small, I think they looks pretty sweet. The matching Ti spindle BB is also slick.

Very nice, this is going to be good, I do like White Industries hubs, another thing on the (long) list of things I wish I'd never sold! :)

Back