Bontrager #3 - '94 Race

I'll have to update my thread so as not to hijack yours...but I'm making incremental slow progress. You're clearly in the lead, with build #3 while I still languish with #1! 😂

But I did find a NOS saddle, admittedly Cro-mo rails and nothe elusive Ti. I'll get pics up soon.
haha well the green bike lays dormant presently so it's not as bad as it seems ;D

Stoked you have a saddle and progress, please update your thread as you said !

haha well the green bike lays dormant presently so it's not as bad as it seems ;D

Stoked you have a saddle and progress, please update your thread as you said !
This weekend while it's raining, is the plan. Of course, have to help the kiddo with science project...you know how it goes.

I like when logos matchup on rims and tires.

Matched up, or on directly opposite sides.

Its the one that doesn't that bothers me! ;)

If I know Aaron, he'll have done great work on those wheels for you, so I bet they ride like a dream!

Looking forward to seeing this continue to come together.

You'll be riding it soon!

finally got the frame scrubbed down, filled up with some stuff, and polished up framesaverstuff.jpg

_1002220.jpg

_1002217.jpg

_1002212.jpg

_1002208.jpg

It's a notoriously hard color to capture, @slackboy and @Carge should know!

The decals have seen better days and I have a replacement set that I got from Velocals right before they shuttered. Now they feel precious and I contemplated a re-powder before applying them but @pw_pw_la won't let me do it ;D

I need to get a heatgun or hairdryer to get these old ones off.

I love opening this bag

2023-02-16-14-23-23-013.jpg

2023-02-16-14-23-53-150.jpg

-anti chain sucks - early black for the OR and later silver for this here Race
-grey stem plug for the Sant Cruz made Race Lite stem with the deep recessed expander bolt. I've never seen the red one used but it came with.thid bag of goodies
-some brake posts

I'd leave them on, looks cool as it is and matches the patina if the rest of the frame.

We'll see, I like the replacement decals so much more though. I'll run these worn decals for a bit at least, see how it feels.

You've done a good job capturing the colour too. Must be the la sun...
thanks, the LA sun is magic...

The WI BB is really a treat.

2023-02-18-12-12-52-104.jpg

2023-02-18-13-50-18-783.jpg

Anti chain suck was next - the spec is 1.5mm clearance for the small 2 rings and 2mm clearance for the big. Bit finicky to get set up.

2023-02-18-15-01-54-642.jpg

to complete the fresh drivetrain

2023-02-18-14-35-19-635.jpg

2023-02-18-14-24-12-519.jpg

Ran into my first issue last night my black DEAN seatpost didn't want to go in past ~8cm or so. I have 3x 26.8 seat posts, the Kalloy from the first photos on page 1, the Syncros thats been shown over in the 94/7 thread, and this here DEAN. What's peculiar is all 3 fit fine in the Race Lite, and only the DEAN has trouble in this here Race. No caliper yet (it's on the list) but have you any thoughts?

Can run the Syncros post for now but the bike really benefits from the black post.

I'm waiting on one last little bit in the post from @IHseeker , need to replace the oil and air seals in the fork, get a tool and install the crown race and then cable her up.

Last edited:
Cough, calipers, cough! ;)

Could also be the black finish on the Dean post.

I've had several seatposts come in a few mm's over their supposed sizes, usually because of the finish.

Back