So, 26", 27.5" and 29".

02gf74":3dbt529b said:
The History Man":3dbt529b said:
Ollie":3dbt529b said:
I'm 6 3" and yet to try a 29'er. I'm content on my 26 and wouldn't change it for the world so there is no point in me changing. I have fun on my bike and that's all I can ask for...

Until you try one.

I hadn't tried v brakes until a couple of years ago. :)

Just wait until you try hydraulic disc brakes, you will be blown away.

My xl steel Cooker 29er has them.

I was.

And still am.

Re:

Built a 29er up last year, just to see how it compared. If I were to sell one of my bikes, it would be that one.
Good points, inspires confidence on downhills, more forgiving when bad lines are chosen
Bad points, harder to get up to speed/sprint up a hill, feels cumbersome when climbing generally. Takes a loooooong time to pump the bugger up after a flat!
Not tried 27.5, sorry.

Mike

Re:

Bikes have progressed so much there really isnt such a thing as a bad bike (ignoring bso's). 29ers now have 15 years of development, they are sorted.

Ive tried all and like them all but 29 is my favourite. Im tall so that helps.

27.5+ is a 650b fat bike size, should be able to use existing 29er frames for them. Genesis have a great one coming next year

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... 5-hardtail

Off road cycling today is a tiny market compared the world of MTB say, 15 years ago. Its all gone roadie (as its now the new golf) so MTB market changes and influences have a more pronounced effect. If the manufacturers can only see a profit in the 'new' 650b/ 29, thats all that we will be able to buy - probably quite soon absolutely regardless of what actually works best. To the current and new generations of MTB-ist, MTB-er, the two bigger sizes may end as all that they know.

Personally, I find the larger profile tyres on a 26 wheel just about right whereas the older tyres with a lower rotating diameter feel slow (let alone the often poor designs).

Regardless of all that, I will not be purchasing either of the 'new' sizes anytime soon.

Ollie":2cp7prh3 said:
I don't know, I will try one and stay open minded but there is nothing wrong with my current bike. The Orange Segment does look really fun but I've only ever had Fives ...

I thought the same until I changed my 26" 5 for a 5 29. I would never go back to 26" modern now.

For me 29" is best 95% of the time and the 5% is no where near worth it. I had a go on a 650b 5 and liked it as it felt like a mini 29" rather than 26" + if that makes sense. Saying that, it still wasn't as good as it's big brother IMO.

My two main cycling buddies both have 29" as well so between us we have a 140mm FS, 120mm FS, 120mm HT and rigid SS so have the bases pretty well covered. 26" can be fun but there's better options out there for most riding as far as I'm concerned.

Re:

Seeing as I spend 95+% of my time on paved roads, larger wheels only slow me down. I ride 26" on all bikes, but I'm pretty sure that for me 20" is the sweet spot.

Back