Orange Gringo, what have I done?

Yeh it’s an older one, I have a 2005 and it’s lovingly called the satsuma, I originally picked it up for 20 squids and overhauled it as my Xc/all mountain/hardcore hard tail/free ride spot scouter whatever u want too call it - managed to squeeze a 2.5 27.5 into the front which has only done great things to it - rides great and takes a lot of abuse I give it constantly and it’s a really great bike tbh it’s doing the job nicely - did try squeezing a 27.5 in back but with limited tyre size I just stuck with a strong 26 with a fatter tire actually in mullet mode it’s way more fun, climbs like a goat and takes a 10 ft car park to car park drop every morning to work
I’d say bear with it and it might surprise you
You’re commute sounds like a scene from a mission impossible movie!!!

£20, you make the one I’ve got sound expensive lol. Good to know they’re a strong frame and ride well. Hopefully I’ll get chance to get the crankset off it this weekend and give it a proper clean, I’ll see how bad or good it is.

£20, you make the one I’ve got sound expensive lol. Good to know they’re a strong frame and ride well. Hopefully I’ll get chance to get the crankset off it this weekend and give it a proper clean, I’ll see how bad or good it is.
Yeh it was a good deal as it was full original bike minus the rear mech, tho I think the only thing original other than the frame is the shifters as it is now - it wouldn’t have been a goer and I certainly wouldn’t trust it or send it down what I do if it wasn’t for total reliance on the nice neat gusset under the head to down tube ahaha see photo, managed to miss time the other week and give it a proper front end klanger and got a lovely screech from the stem sliding a couple of point mm and some sore wrists, thank goodness for gussets, it is a strong steed

Attachments

• 3E9006D8-96D0-448B-9C34-7AF6C783479F.jpeg
    3E9006D8-96D0-448B-9C34-7AF6C783479F.jpeg
    490.4 KB · Views: 7
So how's this project commencing
It’s on hold for a while. I took the crankset off and there’s some really nasty chainsuck damage and also what looks like tyre rub damage so it needs welding. A job for later. I’ve got a ‘97 Rockhopper to get stuck into before I start another big job.

It’s on hold for a while. I took the crankset off and there’s some really nasty chainsuck damage and also what looks like tyre rub damage so it needs welding. A job for later. I’ve got a ‘97 Rockhopper to get stuck into before I start another big job.
Welding? For the bin then brother.. I'd not bother getting a 40 bob alu frame fixed, I'd actually not bother fixing any alu as it just won't last

Welding? For the bin then brother.. I'd not bother getting a 40 bob alu frame fixed, I'd actually not bother fixing any alu as it just won't last
I can get the welding done for free and had a specialized Sirrus al frame with a snapped chainstay repaired and that’s still going strong 4 years later. I would normally bin it but I have some faith in my welding friend and I’ve never owned an Orange before so it can wait in the loft in the orderly line of future financial mistakes 👍

I can get the welding done for free and had a specialized Sirrus al frame with a snapped chainstay repaired and that’s still going strong 4 years later. I would normally bin it but I have some faith in my welding friend and I’ve never owned an Orange before so it can wait in the loft in the orderly line of future financial mistakes 👍
Braver man than me. But if you can get it done for free, then that's another deal altogether of course. I wouldn't personally trust a repaired alu frame, but I'm also on the heavier side of 130 kg.

Back