Orange Gringo, what have I done?

Lostcause

Retro Guru
In the interests of trying to keep fit this winter I decided that I should build a winter proof bike. It needed to be alloy, disc ready and very cheap. I have some Hope wheels in 27.5 and some 27.5 100mm travel forks so a 27.5 frame was probably best. I found an Orange Gringo on eBay, locally, cheap and advertised as 27.5. So £40 later I have this,
IMG_4644.png IMG_4645.png IMG_4646.png IMG_4647.png
One of the decals has a number 12 on it, not sure what that signifies but it has V brake mounts so I suspect it isn’t the year 2012. I’m thinking it’s probably late ‘90 s early ‘00 s and for 26” wheels.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
What year, 26” wheels, and what travel fork would be best?

I’m beginning to think that what I’ve done is instead of a quick build for winter, I’ve just got another project. Seems Orange will refresh your frame to as new for £200…….🧐

It is a 26" wheel frame - but I have had 700c disc wheels on mine, albeit with road treads on them.

It's a 2000 model I think - and probably came with an 80mm Manitou.
The "12" sticker refers to the "Gringo’s sturdy gussetedSeries 12 butted 7005 aluminium frame"

It is a 26" wheel frame - but I have had 700c disc wheels on mine, albeit with road treads on them.

It's a 2000 model I think - and probably came with an 80mm Manitou.
The "12" sticker refers to the "Gringo’s sturdy gussetedSeries 12 butted 7005 aluminium frame"
Thanks for that Carge, that’s very helpful. I haven’t had chance to have a look at it properly yet but from what I have seen it definitely looks sturdy.
You don’t know the seat post diameter do you?

I've still got mine - very versatile. I ran mine as a commuter and towpath bike - as my commute took in the Kennet to avoid as much tarmac as poss :) I ran Michelin Wildgripper Sprints for ages - the file pattern ones.
And a rigid Pace RC31 fork.
That got swapped out when I stuck the 700c wheels on it - and now I think it has some plain Tange forks.
Run it with discs and v-brakes.

You've had a look in the Archive I presume.....
I’ll visit the archive next. I did a quick google search and didn’t find much info out there. I’ve literally just bought it without looking for one specifically. I’ve always known Orange made good bikes so figured it would be worth getting and finding out about them.
It would be great to see yours especially with the 700 wheels on….

27.5 isn’t that much bigger than 26 so the rear may well fit fine. Lots of 27.5 gravel tyres that are around 50c or 2 inch-ish that would give a decent chance of fitting. Fork might be a bit long and give funny handling but could always swap to a rigid fork for ultimate winter proofing.

I’d stick a rear wheel in and see how much room there really is and go from there.

Quick Edit - just noticed you already have an RC31. They should definitely clear a 27.5 with not too big a tyre. Just build it 27.5 for fun as see where it leads.

27.5 isn’t that much bigger than 26 so the rear may well fit fine. Lots of 27.5 gravel tyres that are around 50c or 2 inch-ish that would give a decent chance of fitting. Fork might be a bit long and give funny handling but could always swap to a rigid fork for ultimate winter proofing.

I’d stick a rear wheel in and see how much room there really is and go from there.

Quick Edit - just noticed you already have an RC31. They should definitely clear a 27.5 with not too big a tyre. Just build it 27.5 for fun as see where it leads.
I might do that 👍

Yeh it’s an older one, I have a 2005 and it’s lovingly called the satsuma, I originally picked it up for 20 squids and overhauled it as my Xc/all mountain/hardcore hard tail/free ride spot scouter whatever u want too call it - managed to squeeze a 2.5 27.5 into the front which has only done great things to it - rides great and takes a lot of abuse I give it constantly and it’s a really great bike tbh it’s doing the job nicely - did try squeezing a 27.5 in back but with limited tyre size I just stuck with a strong 26 with a fatter tire actually in mullet mode it’s way more fun, climbs like a goat and takes a 10 ft car park to car park drop every morning to work
I’d say bear with it and it might surprise you

Attachments

• 97700901-B89A-4AF3-B739-5B4199E84FF8.jpeg
    97700901-B89A-4AF3-B739-5B4199E84FF8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 17
Back