Sir Andy Murray Is Back!

Im sorry, but the score line only indicates to me that he failed to win a single set, and probably didnt break serve once?
I would expect the score line for a top 4 player to be that close at the very least.

I agree, he deserves a reputation as one of, if not the best British/Scottish tennis players. But im not sure that is reason enough to call him 'great'.

Im sure someone can correct me, but his winning record against the big three is good, but only in minor tournaments.
Has he ever knocked out Federer, Nadal, or Djokovic in a slam? If he has or not I would still suggest his record in the slams is virtually a complete reversal of his record in other tournaments.
When the chips are down, and the best players are trully up for winning something, they rise to the top.
Murray has done really well getting to three slam finals (albeit at the tail end of Federers career) but his performance in all three finals was very weak - again, when it really mattered his opponents blew him away and he was unable to find an answer.

Mansell is regarded fondly as an excellent F1 driver, mainly due to his style and although perhaps challenged in the personality department (I always like him regardless) he had warmth and character - which goes a long way.
Yes, if he never one the F1 title he would still be highly regarded - As will Murray in many respects - but never in the same esteem by the general public for reasons stated above.

highlandsflyer":2vohpwhe said:
he has already carved out a place in the history books as a British player.

I couldnt agree more! :LOL:

Andrew Murray - A British Tennis player.

Re: murray

captaincosmic":1j4r74ev said:
yep a great player but sadly born into an age of amazing players

Why so sad? Let's instead revel in the amazingness of the other players you mention.
Im starting to feel that we put far too much weight on nationality - why does it matter so much if said person happened to be born on a piece of earth which happens to have a border that you were born within (or not for many in the case of Murray fans).
Surely personallity, dynamism, character, sportmanship, flair should account for more?

I take nationality as an added bonus. If the best proves to be English/British then great - I get to say ''look at our great British export'', but to what end? National pride at best (xenophobia at worse?).
Im much more insterested in saying ''look how great that performance/champion is''

for example, Ive enjoyed every moment of Federer's development and career - and feel lucky to have witnessed his dominance. The fact he is Swiss means little to me, his personality shines through. As well as Nadal. True Greats.

KeepItSteel":3titznqo said:
Im sorry, but the score line only indicates to me that he failed to win a single set, and probably didnt break serve once?

You could not be more wrong. There were breaks on tap. That is the reason why I said it was close. And it was.

Not as close as the Federer match, but close none the less.

Think of sets as 'halfs', and breaks as goals, and you are where I am.

al":2we6s60i said:
I think he's a tit.

A miserable tit at that.

al. :D

:LOL: seconded. :LOL:

I love it that he was appearing a bit of another wet Brit and someone in his 'PR machine' said, start roaring like a tiger when you win shots, Grrrrrrrrrrr!

Go on Andy, you're a tiger....

And he did. And now he's a tiger. Roaaaaaarrrr.

That's one of the things I find sad nowadays - it's not good enough to just be good at sports - you need to be a fun and likable personality before you are supported. Celebrity culture seems to overide the appreciation of skillbase.

Wu-Tangled":w7thbizg said:
I love it that he was appearing a bit of another wet Brit and someone in his 'PR machine' said, start roaring like a tiger when you win shots, Grrrrrrrrrrr!

Go on Andy, you're a tiger....

And he did. And now he's a tiger. Roaaaaaarrrr.
"Jurassic Park!"

The Ken":1gehuqos said:
That's one of the things I find sad nowadays - it's not good enough to just be good at sports - you need to be a fun and likable personality before you are supported. Celebrity culture seems to overide the appreciation of skillbase.

I dunno, maybe just a smile every now and then rather than a sullen look of sullenness might be a start.

Not so much about celebrity as appearing sportsmanlike and, er, a nice person.

Back