Sir Andy Murray Is Back!

highlandsflyer":18kqpt7l said:
cchris2lou":18kqpt7l said:
he is a good player but he is not a winner . i doubt very much he will ever win a gran slam .

He is already a winner. On multiple occasions against the best out there.

I admit he is unlikely to win whatever it is Wayne Rooney is offering with his ex, a 'gran slam' as you call it.

However I can see him taking a major title soon.

Comparisons with Henman are pretty moot, Henman reached the top four much later in his career, and never reached a slam final.

Murray just turned 24 and has been in three Grand Slam finals already. The other players reckon he is not far off and they are the ones in the know.

Hey guess what? He is popular on the tour as well!

Yes he comes over as a sulk, but he has more to him than that. He has inner resolve a thousand Henman fist pumps could never replicate.

:)

he might have won tournaments but none of the big four yet . and they are the ones that matters .
Federer has 18 months left at the top , nadal , 3 or 4 years and Djokovich is getting there . a bit busy at the top for murray .

Why do folk have to be anything more than good sportsmen/women to get a bit of respecct? He is a very very good tennis player and given the crappy jingoistic rule britannia we had to endure with grieg and hennman, a wee bit of support would not go a miss, bet you if he was a miserable cornish fella you would change your tune Al ;)

I'm a big tennis fan, and watching Andy Murray play is just beeter than any UK tennis I've experienced. The guy has real fire in his guts, and he's working his a55 off, for a grand-slam win.

He has more talent and conviction about him than Henman ever had, and let's not even go there about that Canadian that came here to play for 'us' just like that boxer ;) that did the same thing cos otherwise he'd have been swallowed-up by other talent in his home country (orperhaps no support/financial backing..)

He's just come along at a time when the best players of all time (Fed, Nad and Djok) have been at the top of their game, but lets not forget that all of those guys are not infallable - remember Wimbledon last year... ;)

clockworkgazz":2eo8ml34 said:
Why do folk have to be anything more than good sportsmen/women to get a bit of respecct? He is a very very good tennis player

He does have my respect, but to a point. Play tennis very well he may do, but character and personality goes a long way.. and I think his are flawed. Also, I detect a lack of killer instinct - the almost indescribable moment when its time to step up to the plate and do what is nessesary to win - Henman completely lacked it, and im suspecting Murray may also be coming up short.
Dont get me wrong, I really do hope multi-millionaire Murray pulls off a slam or two - its not like I prefer many other players in the world right now.

One of my sporting hero's famously choked on the big stage 6 times - Jimmy 'Whirlwind' White. It was heart breaking watching him crumble in the final time after time, but I never stopped backing him - because his character appealed aqnd his skill was undeniable.
Im sure I could list numerous other examples.
I think Murray must be a Marmite type fella, but I dont buy into the 'typical Brit's not backing a good player' thing.

GT-Steve":28vqcdcd said:
I'm a big tennis fan, and watching Andy Murray play is just beeter than any UK tennis I've experienced.

What, after all those high points to choose from? :)

He has more talent and conviction about him than Henman ever had :

not at the net though, where Henman really was world class (but didnt take advantage enough when it counted).

He's just come along at a time when the best players of all time (Fed, Nad and Djok) have been at the top of their game,
Word.
Probably a bit like Sampras destroying Henman time & again. Persoanlly, I gave up (completely) on Henman when he somehow let Goran come back and beat him in the Wimbledon semi. Although I was full of admiration and respect for Goran.

highlandsflyer":363oio1o said:
KeepItSteel":363oio1o said:
multi-millionaire Murray

Mmmmmhhh, I thought was wasn't an epaulette. Did you fry that in vegetable oil? I am on a diet.

I stuck that in there especially for you - it took you all of 2 mins! :LOL:

Dont get me wrong HF - I respect the fact that you respect Murray.

I kind of enjoy the 'fire in the belly' and the fist pumping too, its just that for me he doesnt do it, well, well?

Different strokes seems appropriate.

:LOL:

''the UK number one was in unusually chatty form during his post-match interview, even going so far as to say 'thank you' to a visibly damp Sue Barker.''

Proper funny report, last sentence made me shiver like sideshow Bob though.

Back