Serotta MTB Identification - Real or Fake? 1995? 1998?

MuchAlohaNui

Senior Retro Guru
Hello friends,

I am interested in this Serotta, pics provided. I digress, I have zero experience or knowledge of Serotta. Currently for sale locally and not for much longer. Using the catalogs here on Retro, I cannot identify this frame and how old it is. Searching all morning via Qwant - no luck. Parts consist between M900 XTR and M950. No yellow to red fade, but hard jagged boarder. No logos on the stays. Steerer tube badge missing. 1995? Rockshox Judy SL with Canti cable boss. Parts wise this bike IMO is a hot mess, but I am primarily interested in the frame.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Serotta 01.jpg Serotta 02.jpg Serotta 03.jpg Serotta 04.jpg Serotta 05.jpg Serotta 06.jpg

Can't help with frame, but forks are not Judy, probably indy or quadra. Don't think they are indy sl as adjusters aren't the metal ones.

Thanks for the help regarding the frame and fork. This picture above, do you happen to know what model that is?

Thanks for the help in identifying. Do you previous owners happen to remember the year? The catalogs, and pictures on the internet are completely useless. I DO find pictures loosely close to a Serotta ATX with this hard yellow/red paint job and jagged boarder where the colors meet...

The T-Max was offered in several years during the early nineties. It is not an of the shelve frame. Paintscheme on request. I think the paint is original, but I am not sure. It is a nice frame and worth an investment. I would check for rust in- and outside the seattube near the BB area. The parts are from various generations. The grey XTR is of course younger than the frame.

There is a tiny guide on the seat bolt braze on for the canti cable. It doesn't work with V-brakes, hence the zip tied outercable. I remember that from my frame as well.

Small update: I recently bought the bike and picked it up (along with an early-to-mid 90's Trek 9900 OCLV with XTR M900 (which I don't think is original) he wanted to get rid of). With some of your helpful comments I was more confident in the purchase, plus the price was right. The PO bought the bike as shown in the pictures above for a project for himself, but personal life got in the way and FF 8 years or so he had to part with it. He said he 'thinks/remembers' the frame is a 92' and the paint is custom from when he bought it from the original owner. When I have time, I can supply detailed pictures of certain areas to maybe nail down what year this frame is and will update the thread.

Last edited:
Back