1998 Bianchi Nth - Steel is Real! + a take/make over

MuchAlohaNui

Senior Retro Guru
Hello. Long time lurker, relatively new poster and collector of things.

I picked up this 1998 Bianchi Nth recently, for some of the parts, as a means to an end of a very very slow build up of my 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory Team that has spanned close to a decade. At the time of acquisition of the Homegrown frame, I was a Sophomore in college and on a very limited budget. Over time, and to my ignorance, I picked up M950 parts along the way to get the bike in a ride-able and personally acceptable state. To my lack of knowledge, I was unaware of the switch in 1998 being M950 XTR 8-spd to 1999 being a sprinkle of M950 and primarily M951/952/953 Mega 9-spd. So this Homegrown was built with M950 and 8-spd. Oops. All the parts ended up being M950 with the cranks M952 (at least I got one thing right). To add insult to personal pride I had to swallow that at the time to muster up the funds, I bought these powder-coated red crank arm M952's in the picture. I got a screaming good deal and believe it or not the only bidder! :LOL:

FF to current time, life is on a different track personally and financially so I am able to start projects and finish them within the decade. As mentioned above, the goal was to buy this Bianchi, take the original green Wild Grippers and the 1999 Sid fork, put those parts on the Homegrown and sell the rest. Too bad so sad, change of plans.

This steel-framed Bianchi is pretty neat and I like steel frames. So the Bianchi stays and so is the star of this build thread, this makeover thread if you will. I think my wife saw it coming when she looked at the bike the morning after I brought it home.

Moving along, XTR M950 is period-correct for 1998 and my 1999 Homegrown is covered in M950. Easy decision: pull off and part out all the XT M750/760 parts because I am too pretentious for XT 🙃 and laterally move the M950 parts off the Homegrown to the Nth. Though, I digress this makeover isn't going to be a full on period correct effort. The Sid fork is a 1999 XC model and I want the 1999 SL for the Homegrown, so this 1999 fork will stay on this Bianchi frame. The previous owner told me he bought the frame new in 1998 near the end of the year and by that time the 1999 model year Sid was available at his LBS so he went with that one instead being as there were significant internal updates between 1998 to 1999 Sid's. I'll leave that as-is, good enough logic for me. Primary color time: red crank arms, yellow frame and blue Sid fork, what can honestly go wrong here?

The following pictures are taken over the last few days of the Homegrown tear down and parts transfer. Personally, I like the Wild Grippers in black/black, but they don't do it for me on this bike with the dark ceramic Mavic x517 wheels and black spokes. These prominent all black donuts detract from my primary color admiration. Any tire suggestions? I have repro Smoke/Darts, but a different color variant of Wild Grippers would be neat as well (or something else). Anyhow, stay tuned as I wait on parts to arrive!

01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG
05.JPG
06.JPG
07.JPG
08.JPG
09.JPG
11.JPG

Thanks. I think it's pretty interesting as well.

Onward to the transfer of parts. The current list of things to address are as follows:
-Tires...the all black Wild Grippers need to go on a different bike
---Find a suitable set of tires; maybe NOS, maybe something lightly used from 97'-99', maybe Panaracer repro Smoke/Dart
-Front derailleur
---Waiting on a 28.6 top pull unit to arrive in the mail
-Chain stay guard. The carbon fiber plastic one isn't my taste
-BB. Pull the current XT BB and install a XTR unit
-Stem. Maybe a different one (plus handlebars) from the same brand as the seatpost RooX
---Top cap doesn't fit on the old Race Face stem properly and is from FSA
---All the M4 bolts are corroding and need replacement
-Grips.
---The original Nth grips are too neat IMO to use and I don't want to trash them
-Cable housing
---current cables are low friction higher end
---current cable housings didn't match between brake and shifter
---current cable housing ends are corroding
-Seat post clamp
---The current clamp is not original, huge and ugly. The frame takes the M5 notched bolt

Here is the donor Schwinn Homegrown Team + parts transfer progress.

3O1F3937.jpg
14.jpeg
15.jpeg
16.jpeg
17.jpeg
18.jpeg
19.jpeg
20.jpeg

Last edited:
Three Bianchi's in your profile...I think you're a bit biased! :cool:

The original owner (me being the second) paid 3,000 DEM in 1998 JUST for the frame; no fork no components no nothing which is around $1700 USD. The construction of the frame is something to behold. Quite interesting with the oddly shaped tubing and how they welded everything together. I looked at a few of your bikes which are quite nice. The one I have has rear dropouts by Ritchey with the dropouts having a flanges to slightly protect the quick release. Just a minor yet neat detail.

Say, do you have any catalog scans from 1998?

Three Bianchi's in your profile...I think you're a bit biased! :cool:

The original owner (me being the second) paid 3,000 DEM in 1998 JUST for the frame; no fork no components no nothing which is around $1700 USD. The construction of the frame is something to behold. Quite interesting with the oddly shaped tubing and how they welded everything together. I looked at a few of your bikes which are quite nice. The one I have has rear dropouts by Ritchey with the dropouts having a flanges to slightly protect the quick release. Just a minor yet neat detail.

Say, do you have any catalog scans from 1998?
Yes the construction is very nice indeed. They did a similar look on the Titanio Megatube which I have.

I can’t find any Bianchi catalogues from the period 98 and before, there are some later ones around.
I even asked Bianchi but their customer service is non existent.

I think the green wild grippers were as standard https://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/941104

If you happen upon 1998 catalogs, let me know! Mhm, with the green Wild Grippers that is what I understand as well. The previous owner at the time bought three front/rear sets and an extra set of the matching Nth grips. I am not sure what to do about tires though, because the green set I have on the bike I'd rather preserve because they are in such nice shape. Also, there are matching Michelin tubes and matching yellow Michelin rim tape which I didn't know about until I pulled the tires off the wheels.

This bike is a 98' and not the super sweet titanium model, so the parts don't need to be completely specific to 1998. Aside from the tire dilemma I'll probably just complete the xtr M950 parts and fill in the rest of the stuff with period correct Roox.

I will if I come across any - maybe a wanted ad here would be best option as only this week I received a screenshot of the spec of my Titanio one.

As for tyres - IRC Mythos XC tyres with a reddish wall would be ideal - as on this: they’d go with it I think and also are very lightweight and perform nicely

Attachments

• C92789C2-AE92-4312-8884-43C04123DD37.jpeg
    C92789C2-AE92-4312-8884-43C04123DD37.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 28
Those are pretty nice! Thanks for the tip! Was your bike here also only available as a frame-only purchase from Bianchi?

Those are pretty nice! Thanks for the tip! Was your bike here also only available as a frame-only purchase from Bianchi?
Perhaps - I think it was a complete bike as in here:
But my one was one of the race bikes in the Bianchi team.
By the way - there’s a pair of IRC Mythos XC on sale here and available for £30

Attachments

• 67F3C6BF-5141-4208-BC34-26010850036C.jpeg
    67F3C6BF-5141-4208-BC34-26010850036C.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 11
Back