1998 Bianchi Nth - Steel is Real! + a take/make over

Hi MuchAloha,
Any progress on the build? Full Xtr in any version suit these top Bianchis greatly.
Just out of curiosity, could you share the frame weight? These italian builds always bring smiles to the scales.
Waiting to see this build spinning again

Hi MuchAloha,
Any progress on the build? Full Xtr in any version suit these top Bianchis greatly.
Just out of curiosity, could you share the frame weight? These italian builds always bring smiles to the scales.
Waiting to see this build spinning again
Some weights here but not sure whether this particular one is here
Screenshot 2022-10-24 at 17-49-29 Bianchi Katalog 1996 - Bianchi Katalog 1996.jpeg

Just out of curiosity, could you share the frame weight?
Yes, the bike is built and in use. I think there are multiple threads existing and I digress I am a total space cadet with being the 'house dad' and the kids and getting through Thanksgiving and Christmas + all the bike projects in progress 🙃. That said, I appoligize for any thread-following confusion. Unfortunately the weight of the frame didn't even cross my mind when it was completely stripped. Having in my possession hand-made steel-frame and carbon-frame road bikes, this Bianchi by off-the-cuff observation alone when the frame was bare, was just as light if not lighter than these other frames. For sake of data and what is available online, I can calculate frame weight by removing the wheels, seat + seat post then weigh what is remaining and subtract known weights of the components and get the frame weight. I will calculate this weight this morning since the weather is meh. I am not going to go full Weight Weenie though! So take the calculated weight for what it is worth to you!

Some weights here but not sure whether this particular one is here.
Thanks for that. The frame material per the sticker on the frame is called: ZERO 18 MCDV6 H.T. Micro Alloyed Dedacciai. All of the tubing is round, except for the down tube which is polygonal/trapezoidal in shape. Here is a really cool website I found explaining in summary the differences in Bianchi frame material: https://www.strongframes.com/bicycle-frame-tube-information-1999/

B7971C77-286A-4FFA-98FC-1C3337661C65.jpeg F9CA4E03-3554-479C-9649-D18A2D621B68.jpeg 57442154-1182-4B4C-8FAA-8D2851F58259.jpeg

Yes, the bike is built and in use. I think there are multiple threads existing and I digress I am a total space cadet with being the 'house dad' and the kids and getting through Thanksgiving and Christmas + all the bike projects in progress 🙃. That said, I appoligize for any thread-following confusion. Unfortunately the weight of the frame didn't even cross my mind when it was completely stripped. Having in my possession hand-made steel-frame and carbon-frame road bikes, this Bianchi by off-the-cuff observation alone when the frame was bare, was just as light if not lighter than these other frames. For sake of data and what is available online, I can calculate frame weight by removing the wheels, seat + seat post then weigh what is remaining and subtract known weights of the components and get the frame weight. I will calculate this weight this morning since the weather is meh. I am not going to go full Weight Weenie though! So take the calculated weight for what it is worth to you!

Thanks for that. The frame material per the sticker on the frame is called: ZERO 18 MCDV6 H.T. Micro Alloyed Dedacciai. All of the tubing is round, except for the down tube which is polygonal/trapezoidal in shape. Here is a really cool website I found explaining in summary the differences in Bianchi frame material: https://www.strongframes.com/bicycle-frame-tube-information-1999/

View attachment 692371View attachment 692372View attachment 692373
Thanks for that link!l
But the way there is what seems to be a similar frame on sale here:
Some debate though

Frame & Fork, Jagwire cable set, F & R XTR V-brakes, XTR Chain, XTR F & R Der., Shimano brake noodles, Bianchi grips, Roox 110 mm stem, 20 mm aluminum generic stem spacer, Ritchey Scuzzy Logic Pro headset, XTR Bottom Bracket, 4x 15mm SS water bottle cage bolts:

5,250 g

SID XC Fork: 1,200 g
Jagwire Cable Housing (Shift & Brake) Set F & R @ 2 m: 80 g
Shimano Shift & Brake Cables F & R: 90 g
Shimano brake noodles: 5 g
XTR M950 brakes (with pads and mounting bolts) F & R: 425 g
XTR M950 chain: 286 g
XTR M950 FD: 117 g
XTR M950 RD (SGS): 233 g
XTR M950 BB (112.5 mm): 220 g
Bianchi Nth Grips (set): 60 g
Roox 110 mm stem: 184 g
Spacer, generic aluminum 20 mm: 5 g
Ritchey headset: 135 g
Raceface aluminum bars @ 550 mm: 136 g
4x SS bolts @ 15 mm/ea: 5 g

Grand Total (listed components): 3,181 g

-------
2069 g

My scale is +/- 10g thus 3-significant figures if resolution are achievable (and required for continuity)... i.e. the grand total of 2069 g AFTER the final maths are done must be rounded to the tenth digit. In the end I had to reference Weight Weenies to be somewhat accurate and present usable data. I was surprised that some of the components like the older Race Face bars and Roox stem were listed.

Frame weight is between 2,060 to 2,070 g @ 3-significant figures. For the metrically illiterate = about 4.5 lbs.

For comparison, someone listed a Bianchi Grizzly frame on Weight Weenies made of a similar alloy at 2,065 g.

Big thanks to my 4 year old for letting me use her hair band to attach my scale to my bike stand. ;)

…now I need to put the bike back together.

3CFFA13E-EB8C-46A3-B985-B8440C76F37F.jpeg BB80AA6F-E7D1-48CE-8480-CAA2FFF9CDBF.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for that link!l
But the way there is what seems to be a similar frame on sale here:
Some debate though
Yeah, you're welcome man. Was kind of surprised I found that link. Took a bit of word pairing in search to find it. Was on the first page too. The link you provided is pretty sweet. That Bianchi branded fork and the tires, to me are worth the purchase alone. I jumped in that thread to maybe help the others help you narrow down what that may be by providing the material type of the frame I have in yellow.

Frame & Fork, Jagwire cable set, F & R XTR V-brakes, XTR Chain, XTR F & R Der., Shimano brake noodles, Bianchi grips, Roox 110 mm stem, 20 mm aluminum generic stem spacer, Ritchey Scuzzy Logic Pro headset, XTR Bottom Bracket, 4x 15mm SS water bottle cage bolts:

5,250 g

SID XC Fork: 1,200 g
Jagwire Cable Housing (Shift & Brake) Set F & R @ 2 m: 80 g
Shimano Shift & Brake Cables F & R: 90 g
Shimano brake noodles: 5 g
XTR M950 brakes (with pads and mounting bolts) F & R: 425 g
XTR M950 chain: 286 g
XTR M950 FD: 117 g
XTR M950 RD (SGS): 233 g
XTR M950 BB (112.5 mm): 220 g
Bianchi Nth Grips (set): 60 g
Roox 110 mm stem: 184 g
Spacer, generic aluminum 20 mm: 5 g
Ritchey headset: 135 g
Raceface aluminum bars @ 550 mm: 136 g
4x SS bolts @ 15 mm/ea: 5 g

Grand Total (listed components): 3,181 g

-------
2069 g

My scale is +/- 10g thus 3-significant figures if resolution are achievable (and required for continuity)... i.e. the grand total of 2069 g AFTER the final maths are done must be rounded to the tenth digit. In the end I had to reference Weight Weenies to be somewhat accurate and present usable data. I was surprised that some of the components like the older Race Face bars and Roox stem were listed.

Frame weight is between 2,060 to 2,070 g @ 3-significant figures. For the metrically illiterate = about 4.5 lbs.

For comparison, someone listed a Bianchi Grizzly frame on Weight Weenies made of a similar alloy at 2,065 g.

Big thanks to my 4 year old for letting me use her hair band to attach my scale to my bike stand. ;)

…now I need to put the bike back together.

View attachment 692385View attachment 692386
Thanks ! It may be that the zero tube on the German advert @kingoffootball provided above would be similar but thinner tubes hence the slightly lower weight ?

Hi Ibbz,
Took me a while to find the one I was refering to 🥲. Scapin Nope with a carbon seat tube inserted instead of steel. But I think it’s a later oneView attachment 666520
Im after one of these if for a decent price

Back