Serotta Ti-Max : Information Wanted (Updated Frame Photos - March 14th)

Nice drop outs.

Forks are Sid's by the way, probably 99/00s. Stripped of paint on the lowers by the looks of it.

Gorgeous titanium frame. Ultra high end. I suggest xtr brakes shifting and crankset, king hubs, syncros post, kore stem and something higher end than the titec handlebar. Just the best of the best.

As good as it gets. Absolute work of art and you just ‘know’ that will ride like perfection. Stiff where Ti frames usually arent, yet responsive and comfortable to ride. A true unicorn….I would love one….what a find 😎🙌🏼

Nice drop outs.

Forks are Sid's by the way, probably 99/00s. Stripped of paint on the lowers by the looks of it.
You think the forks are SID? Is there any telling data revealed by the serial number on the crown? 09HA9DD279. Yes, paint is completely sanded off with what looks like 80 grit 🙃

I would really need to polish out this rough sanding, but these forks will not go back on this frame anyhow. A side issue at this point.

Gorgeous titanium frame. Ultra high end. I suggest xtr brakes shifting and crankset, king hubs, syncros post, kore stem and something higher end than the titec handlebar. Just the best of the best.
Thanks. Mhm, in person these dropouts are unreal. Also not to brag, but I was shocked at what I got the frame for via local auction. Thanks for the suggestions on components. I am going a bit overboard on the 1994 ATi build, so your suggestions sound very sensible and realistic.

What I find odd and a little confusing to my amateur knowledge is that Serotta marketed the ATi as being the ultimate titanium frame they made, yet the TiMax was marketed as a mid-level frame. Additionally, and I forget where I saw the original magazine scan, but the ATi frame was about 800 DM more than the TiMax yet enthusiasts desire the TiMax moreso the ATi.

Super cool frame. Those dropouts are delicious.
The dropouts are great. They also do not match anything I can find online. Every other TiMax I see has the "bullet" style dropouts. These "window" dropouts seem to be more common on the Ottrott and Legend Ti and appear to be special order. I wish I could squeeze more info out of the serial number.

Edit: From what I can deduce with a link I referenced in my ATi build thread to serial number information provided by Dave Kirk, the CTM must mean "Custom TiMax" which also explains the rear dropouts. So this is a 1995 frame, Custom TiMax, 18" and #166. The link primarily discusses Serotta road bikes, but I assume the same can be applied to their mountain bike serial numbers.

As good as it gets. Absolute work of art and you just ‘know’ that will ride like perfection. Stiff where Ti frames usually arent, yet responsive and comfortable to ride. A true unicorn….I would love one….what a find 😎🙌🏼
Thanks man. Good luck to you and your searches.

Last edited:
Edit to the tubing thickness. I forgot to pull off the seat tube clamp on the ATi frame for comparison. Both tube sets are around 0.94 to 0.95 mm. :LOL:

1D4761FC-E14A-40D7-BA95-EF0DEE274512.jpeg

Found the comparison. The ATi was 1100 DM more than the TiMax, yet the TiMax is more beloved today?
Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 13.43.25.png

Edit: Maybe mods can move this thread to Readers MTB since I now own the frame?

Last edited:
Back