1998 Bianchi Nth - Steel is Real! + a take/make over

Pretty nice bike. There’s one for sale on ebay Italy currently. Looks completely original. Also thank you for a heads up with the tires for sale. Another member already claimed them!

A general update. Pulled the bottom bracket out. Had to shoot a ton of penetration oil down the seat tube and let it sit for a few days. There was a bit of oxidization on the threads.

Also pulled the rear derailleur and inspected the pulleys and bearings for play and gave the entire mechanism a cleaning. I’ll put some neutralizer in the housing before the new bottom bracket goes in.

BA47563E-56EF-477B-B721-2D5B4F70E22C.jpeg F57D317C-B782-4814-9389-1D93243A514F.jpeg 4D531F02-6F27-4C0C-BE50-FBA8F10EC2AF.jpeg 0411C875-622A-4343-A956-5AD8D69C5196.jpeg

This is very cool. Get it put back together and post some more pics...

I've never worked on, seen or ridden, a Bianchi MTB. Pretty rare in my neck of the woods, but I did work in a shop that had previously sold lots of ...... damn, an Italian brand I can't remember the name of..... nope, it's gone, but they had a penchant for making steel frames with carbon seat tubes and suchlike... Someone will remind me I'm sure.
Anyway, I digress...

Are you still running the red xtr cranks? They're brilliant! I also love that you missed the 950/952 memo, I'm pretty sure I'd have done the same thing, so I can relate. It's these things that make each bike/build so personal.

I've never worked on, seen or ridden, a Bianchi MTB. Pretty rare in my neck of the woods, but I did work in a shop that had previously sold lots of ...... damn, an Italian brand I can't remember the name of..... nope, it's gone, but they had a penchant for making steel frames with carbon seat tubes and suchlike... Someone will remind me I'm sure.
Anyway, I digress...

Are you still running the red xtr cranks? They're brilliant! I also love that you missed the 950/952 memo, I'm pretty sure I'd have done the same thing, so I can relate. It's these things that make each bike/build so personal.
Higher end Bianchi like this are jewels!

Anyway, I digress...

Italian bike with steel and carbon?
I can’t think of any retro ones

Hmm, not sure whether the brand went far enough back to be considered retro (on this forum), but I started working there in 2009 and the shop hadn't sold any in a year or so I believe. They were pretty cool, but I think most did fail. Did a frame swap from one of their singlespeed frames, which cracked. It was pretty sad, the frame was gorgeous...
I'll ask some ex colleagues. My memory is shot

Very very nice Bianchi find 👏 Following your build.
I think the brand you are talking about is Scapin, and the welds and attention to detail is far away of anything I’ve seen previosly in steel, built by Columbus but I’m not completely sure about this.
Speachless about the yeti built homegrown….

Very very nice Bianchi find 👏 Following your build.
I think the brand you are talking about is Scapin, and the welds and attention to detail is far away of anything I’ve seen previosly in steel, built by Columbus but I’m not completely sure about this.
Speachless about the yeti built homegrown….
Did Scapin make steel/carbon frames?

Hi Ibbz,
Took me a while to find the one I was refering to 🥲. Scapin Nope with a carbon seat tube inserted instead of steel. But I think it’s a later one EFC45236-F848-412F-9308-0286C9C77073.jpeg

Hi Ibbz,
Took me a while to find the one I was refering to 🥲. Scapin Nope with a carbon seat tube inserted instead of steel. But I think it’s a later oneView attachment 666520
Thanks - I had no idea !!! Then again I usually look at 90ies Scapin and have one reserved for me - a Prorace TRX

Back